Mapping ClearQAM?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Zorg

Mapping ClearQAM?

Postby Zorg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:32 pm

I have a duo & quatro and am experimenting with clearQAM cable. I get a couple dozen channels over cable, and they look great. But they're all in the 5000+ range and show up as Unknown and have no guide info. I understand this to be because my cable company isn't sending the right identifying info in the stream, so the HDHR doesn't understand what the channel is. And yes, I know a Prime + cablecard would resolve the issue.

Is there any way to manually map these channels so they get guide data on a Duo or Quatro? I know I can do it with third-party software (ChannelsDVR), but not sure if it's possible so the native HDHomerun app works?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Mapping ClearQAM?

Postby signcarver » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:18 am

You answered your own question... you need 3rd party software that allows such as SD's software only uses the modern method of obtaining the channel list (url) from the device itself and their guide servers can only return what they know.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:02 pm

You answered your own question... you need 3rd party software that allows such as SD's software only uses the modern method of obtaining the channel list (url) from the device itself and their guide servers can only return what they know.
Thanks for clarifying. I realize the real problem is my cable company not sending the "correct" data down ClearQAM. Not much I can do about that, and clearly not SD's problem. Just asking if there's a way to work around the problem in the HDHR itself. So "the modern method of obtaining a channel list" leaves no room for correction if a provider sends imperfect data? The HDHR clearly has some ability to persist channel attributes since we can block and favorite them in the UI now. I am just curious if there are any methods, like via API calls, to override this further with channel/callsign/whatever data to allow guide lookups. Not a big deal if not, just curious more than anything.

Indeed, I can and have used third party software to override, but it would be more valuable for me to fix it at the HDHR itself.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:18 pm

None... you are limited to disable and favorite as additional options... if on older gen than having the tuner manage the channels, you don't even get those options as the entire list is sent by the scan in windows to sd's servers.

3rd party apps typically provide their own (or user provided) guide service and maintain their own maps, rather than relying on the tuner to maintain the lineup.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:42 pm

I realize the real problem is my cable company not sending the "correct" data down ClearQAM. Not much I can do about that
Well, you could ask your cable company to do so, but admittedly it is unlikely to work (although if you do not ask, you never know), simply because the cable company has almost zero reason to add the workload when it all works with their STBs.

In most cases you can get your first CableCARD for free rather than getting the providers STB, so if you can obtain a Prime (or the Prime6 when it is available), you likely have the easiest way forward longer term.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the responses! Not what I hoped to hear but I understand. You’re right, I guess it can’t hurt to ask the cable company!

Not interested in investing in primes as I’m about 95% disconnected from “cable” content. Basically just trying to find a workaround for two PBS stations that I can get via super basic cable but struggle with via OTA.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”