FireStick crashing HD Homerun App

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jaimetheking

FireStick crashing HD Homerun App

Postby Jaimetheking » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 pm

HD Homerun keep crashing on my firestick. I have to keep resetting the stick. It’s not the HD Homerun because it still displays on my iPhone. Any suggestions?

Jaimetheking

Re: FireStick crashing HD Homerun App

Postby Jaimetheking » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:23 am

Anyone? This is really annoying me now. Why does amazon carry the HomeRunHD app if it’s going to keep crashing?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am

did you turn off ac3 passthrough? Which stick as there are issues with amazon's latest one for hardware decoding.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi,

Which model of FireTV stick do you have?

Nick

carlosantunez

Postby carlosantunez » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I have the same situation. I recently purchased the HDHomerunQuatro with Premium TV and DVR Service and 3 brand new FireTV Sticks 4k, I already passed the 3 whatever pass-through problem, this is not the issue, the issue is that once HDHomerun is left on for let say approximately 20 minutes, it crashes, the if I tried to run it again, it will try to run, but it will crash again, the only way to make it run again is if I disconnect the FireTV Stick from the power and connect it back up again.

I think there is an incompatibility issue (A Bug) that needs to be fix on the HDHomerun and the New 4K FireStick. This is really annoying and bad, if I this issue doesn't get resolved quickly I will have to be force to return all that I purchased.

Please advise.

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Are you seeing that on OTA channels, Premium TV, or both? Amazon has acknowledged that there is a GPU driver issue that leads to problems with the MPEG2 decoder on the Fire TV Stick 4K, and they are awaiting an update from the maker of the GPU. This would then get integrated into a system firmware update for the Fire TV.

carlosantunez

Postby carlosantunez » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Yes, on Both. Hope that update comes quick.

Regards,

carlosantunez

Postby carlosantunez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 am

Are you seeing that on OTA channels, Premium TV, or both? Amazon has acknowledged that there is a GPU driver issue that leads to problems with the MPEG2 decoder on the Fire TV Stick 4K, and they are awaiting an update from the maker of the GPU. This would then get integrated into a system firmware update for the Fire TV.
Good morning.
Any update on this matter, I have replaced 4 brand new Fire Tv 4k from Amazon and they keep on doing the same thing, crashing after a couple of minutes after the Hdhomerun opens, regardless of the channels, OTA or premium channels. The only solution is to unplug and plug back the Fire TV 4k unit.

Thanks
Best regards
Carlos

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:09 pm

After it crashes, try playing something from YouTube - see if the FireTV stick media layer is completely hosed.

Nick

callenbrand

Postby callenbrand » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Just out of curiosity what are you using for your power source? I had a firestick 4K that was doing the same thing and it turned out to be since I was using the usb provided power from the TV it was not enough. Once I used the provided wall outlet to supply the power the issue went away. I have four FTV 4K's and no issue with the HDHR app on them.

beefjerky

Postby beefjerky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 am

I am also having this issue with 2 of the new Fire TV Stick 4K devices and the HDHomeRun app. They are both being powered by the included USB power supply. I hope Amazon does fix this, considering they specifically advertised the MPEG2 hardware decoding and deinterlacing as a feature of this new Fire TV.

EDIT:
I did some further testing and found that it seems to be a specific set of circumstances that triggers the issue. Sometimes it can play for 30+ minutes before it happens, and sometimes it happens after only a few minutes. I also tested how the Fire TV behaves after it occurs. If you try to play anything that uses hardware video decoding (i.e. YouTube, Blu-ray rip in MrMC), it will not work. It will simply sit at a black screen in YouTube, or with an infinite loading circle animation in MrMC. However, stuff that uses software decoding still works fine. For example, I can open MrMC and watch TV there since it uses a software decoder due to the broken MPEG2 deinterlacing the older Fire TVs had.

Side note, why is it so hard to get hardware MPEG2 decoding right these days? Between this issue, as well as the issue on the Shield TV that causes pixelization on certain stations, it's absurd. I guess it proves once again that we (the consumer) are, in fact, the beta testers. And, don't get me started on the rotten, buggy Windows updates.

carlosantunez

Postby carlosantunez » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Ok, I guess this issues will not be easy to resolve and it will not be fixed until perhaps next year.
Does any one recommend me another solution that is not as expensive as the Shield and has voice capability?

Thank you
Regards,

Carlos

psychic99

Postby psychic99 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:19 am

I had this issue happen yesterday on 4k firestick, and had to reboot but it ALSO caused a problem on my Quatro where if I launched another stream from the PC or another firestick there was video only, not audio. I had to physically reboot the Quatro to get sound back. The crashed app kept tuner 0 and the new stream was going on tuner 1 (the same channel).

Interestingly enough the second time this happened (during NFL no less) I ran a channel scan which cleared out the tuners and was able to continue without sending a reboot command. So it appears the tuner0 is getting stuck in a bad way to cause issues launching another tuner.

There were no errors in the log.

So this sounds to me like the problem is larger than just the firestick, but now it is borking the actual Quatro.

Hardware Model HDHR5-4US
Firmware Version 20180817

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”