Purchasing a replacement fan

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sxotty

Purchasing a replacement fan

Postby sxotty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:23 pm

I need a new one of these for my homerun plus which they seemed to rename the extend

Any idea where I can find one? Mine is making really bad sounds. I don't want to ship it back and pay $40 to have them stick a new case on it. I would rather buy a new fan. If they sold the case alone I might do that, but I do not see the option. Anyone have any ideas where I can get the fan?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: Purchasing a replacement fan

Postby demonrik » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:48 pm

you are looking for a 40mm vga fan
do a search on ebay - you will probably end up spending $1 on the fan and $10 on the shipping though.

TBH - the case replacement service is excellent.
It seems expensive - but no noise is totally worth it.

sxotty

Postby sxotty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 pm

I will see if I can find one that hs the correct screw orientation.

I would be happy to buy the case and put it on myself, but if I pay them I have to ship it to them. That requires an additional waiting period, whereas I can currently use it with annoying fan sounds. It is not where I watch TV anyway so the sounds are not so bad. Instead, they simply indicate that there will eventually be a problem, which I would like to preclude.

edit: Searching has not been very fruitful. There are some 45mm fans that look closeish. I might be able to 3d print an adapter to a normal square fan, but I am worried the height would be too large then. I could cut a giant hole in the top as people have in the past.https://chrishubbs.com/2015/02/20/hdhom ... -overkill/

Metalman
Device ID: 131937B6

Postby Metalman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 pm

sxotty

Postby sxotty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but no. You see normal fans have 4 screws and are square like those. I actually have some sitting around my house. If you notice in the picture these have a circular frame and 3 screw holes in an equilateral triangle configuration. That is just a weird and atypical fan. Even VGA fans usually have the screws under the blades and no circular frame, or they are just square. Silicon dust just uses a crazy fan. Maybe they changed over time I have only opened one up after all. I could buy a new heatsink fan combo for a few bucks, but shipping from China is arriving in January :). Maybe I can find a US seller of a heatsink that will fit a square frame normal fan and swap it out. The heatsink on the board is probably adequate for what I assume is low heat dissipation, but it is clearly quite low in its ability to radiate heat (trying to phrase it politely :) ).

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but no. You see normal fans have 4 screws and are square like those. I actually have some sitting around my house. If you notice in the picture these have a circular frame and 3 screw holes in an equilateral triangle configuration. That is just a weird and atypical fan. Even VGA fans usually have the screws under the blades and no circular frame, or they are just square. Silicon dust just uses a crazy fan. Maybe they changed over time I have only opened one up after all. I could buy a new heatsink fan combo for a few bucks, but shipping from China is arriving in January :). Maybe I can find a US seller of a heatsink that will fit a square frame normal fan and swap it out. The heatsink on the board is probably adequate for what I assume is low heat dissipation, but it is clearly quite low in its ability to radiate heat (trying to phrase it politely :) ).
Brings me back to the simpleTV device that was also hardware by silicondust
I did a ton of work on researching heatsinks and fans to replace the noisy crap that was on that device.

Anyway - challenge here seems to be a 3pin mounting. plenty of 2 pin or 4 pin, but 3s are hard to find.
Really need help from SD - but am guessing since they've moved to fanless case for so long, you won't get much from there either.

Metalman
Device ID: 131937B6

Postby Metalman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Yes, I now see what you are saying. I was going by the model number.
I hope you find one that works.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:36 pm

BTW - we have a case upgrade for the old fan based HDTC models that eliminates the fan:
https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... lto=482982

Nick

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Postby ebo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:11 am

edit: Searching has not been very fruitful. There are some 45mm fans that look closeish. I might be able to 3d print an adapter to a normal square fan, but I am worried the height would be too large then. I could cut a giant hole in the top as people have in the past.https://chrishubbs.com/2015/02/20/hdhom ... -overkill/
If I were replacing the fan I think I would mount it on top but I'd use a smaller fan than in that link. Noctua is well known for the silence of their fans (I just replaced the noisy fan in a Dell managed switch with a Noctua and I can barely hear it inches away). Their NF-A4x10 FLX model might be what you want (40x40x10 mm, 12v, 3-pin with 2-pin adapter). With the fan outside the case you could either replace the heat sink with a more efficient one with fins all over (I don't know if that's easy to do) or find one that fits inside it and mount it using thermal paste.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 am

(I just replaced the noisy fan in a Dell managed switch with a Noctua and I can barely hear it inches away)
While you can often install quieter fans, some of them do not have equal airflow capability, which means the Dell may overheat and fail or significantly shorten the lifetime (costing you a lot more than the noise from the fan). Did you instrument the unit temp before/after the replacement fan?

In this particular situation, I would go for the case upgrade. No fan is going to be quieter than even the quietest fan, but that is just me.

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:48 am

(I just replaced the noisy fan in a Dell managed switch with a Noctua and I can barely hear it inches away)
While you can often install quieter fans, some of them do not have equal airflow capability, which means the Dell may overheat and fail or significantly shorten the lifetime (costing you a lot more than the noise from the fan). Did you instrument the unit temp before/after the replacement fan?
Is a real good point. But not all fans are created equal and generally have found Noctua does provide much quieter fans for $$, at same or more CFM than run of the mill cheapo fans.
If you do put it outside the case - then go bigger on the fan.. Larger 60mm or 80mm fan will provide much greater CFM for lower RPM and thus noise.
But will look ugly - so make sure you hide the frankenbeast somewhere :)
In this particular situation, I would go for the case upgrade. No fan is going to be quieter than even the quietest fan, but that is just me.
+1... fanless is the way to go either way.. no noise, no moving parts.

If fan is still needed - I did a trawl through newegg and found
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835119083
Just $9
23dBA suggests it should be quiet, as does the 4500RPM.
9.59 CFM is pretty decent for a 40mm 4500RPM fan

There are a ton of fans on newegg ranging from $8 to $45 depending on needs.

sxotty

Postby sxotty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks, everyone for your consideration. Please consider this thread closed. I will update on what I end up deciding to do if it is different from paying SD to put a new case on it. Just to help the next person who might stumble across this.

cordcutter

Postby cordcutter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:36 pm

Here's on that's close.:
30mm fan (40mm base):
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... 59-1583-ND

a 40mm fan (50mm base) version:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... 59-1584-ND

gregw74
Device ID: 1050EA18

Postby gregw74 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:01 pm

BTW - we have a case upgrade for the old fan based HDTC models that eliminates the fan:
https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/produ ... lto=482982

Nick
Nick... you just blew my mind with this!! I currently have an Extend which I love, but the fan... mmm, not so much! The fact that SiliconDust offers this upgrade is awesome! I will absolutely be taking advantage of this sometime this week. I just wanted to say, thank you for offering this!! Here I was thinking I would unfortunately have to buy a new Extend, which I just couldn't do right now. I would have had to sell my current one on eBay and then buy a new or refurb Extend, but I will certainly opt for this upgrade option instead!

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”