HD HomeRun with Mediacom

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
zamboknee

HD HomeRun with Mediacom

Postby zamboknee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 pm

As part of my internet service with Mediacom I get a very basic cable lineup. Can I feed this cable feed into my HD homerun and subsequently watch/record content??

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HD HomeRun with Mediacom

Postby signcarver » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:46 pm

My understanding is that Medicom should complete its digital upgrade by the end of the year (if not already) at that point there will be no analog channels which SD's tuners can't tune anyway (but if your area hasn't updated yet, you may be currently seeing those on your TV). All of SD's US tuners support clear qam so any tuner will get those clear qam digital channels. My understanding for mediacom, this is what they refer to as "Local Plus" any others will require a prime and cablecard. I do not know how usable they will be (without a prime/cablecard) with SD's software as I don't know if your area supplies the psip data necessary for the bulk of channels. A channel detected but not with the necessary virtual channel number provided will be assigned a number in the "5000" range (considered random as a 2nd device may show those channels with different virtual numbers in that range ie, one device shows it as 5012 while another 5014) This allows the channel to at least be viewable with SD's software but there would be no guide and thus no DVR available for such channel (typically older DVR software which tunes by frequency rather than virtual channel number will work). I do not know how much of your lineup would be like that and can vary by market (even neighborhood though less likely).

It used to be that I would tell people that if they ran a scan on their digital tv, the channels with a . (or -) such as 5.1 could be properly tuned by the HDHomeRun, while channels that displayed a whole number (such as 5) would be analog and not work. However some cable companies after going all digital often have some digital channels show up without such . (or -) so you would have to know if your tv tuner was tuning a digital channel.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:51 am

I have Mediacom internet and there is definitely digital unencrypted QAM coming down the pipe.

I accidentally discovered this a few weeks ago when I mixed-up my coax labeling and fed my Connect Duo+Quatro setup Mediacom instead of OTA antenna. Out of curiosity, I ran a channel scan in cable mode and was surprised to find 30+ channels. All the majors in 720p/1080i HD w/ 5.1 audio and their subchannels (Charge!, Comet, Laugh, TBD, etc) in SD. But yes, they are all channels 5000+ and show up as "Unknown" in the native HD guide. Both my tuners saw the same channels - i.e. NBC HD was 5011 on both (or whatever).

I use ChannelsDVR where it's easy to re-map channels, so guide data can be made to work. I'm not sure if you can remap channels like that with the native HD apps to get guide data. I don't think you can. Anyway, I spent 15 minutes messing with it & mapping a few channels. Guide data, viewing, & recording worked just as it did with OTA. HD looked really good, actually. I saw similar bitrates as I see via OTA, so it make me question my OTA plans since I have weather-related reception issues with one distant major OTA tower.

To do it 'right', you'd need a HD HomeRun Prime and a cable card from Mediacom. The card should correct the channel mapping and allow the guide to work automatically, I believe. It would also would prevent problems if/when Mediacom reassigns those channels. As discussed above, I don't know if those 5k's are permanent.
Last edited by Zorg on Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:03 pm

I misread your post & edited mine - I don't disagree with you. Sorry! :)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

as a result I had already deleted mine as I saw the correction cross posted

But thanks for pointing out how bad the psip data was with them.

Zorg

Postby Zorg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 pm

NBD! Too long of a weekend. :)

So the data that comes down from Mediacom that defines the channel is called psip data? So it's up to Mediacom to populate that correctly so software can ID the channel and make the leap to get guide data, etc? I wonder why they don't take the time to do that correctly? Just to make non-cable-card owners lives more difficult?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Some cable providers like to market the clear QAM channels as a feature (e.g. "we're better than satellite because you can get your basic channels without a box"), and take the time to enter all the information for each channel so people can find their channels on the numbers they expect them on. It's a tedious process to go in and do that, and it has to be updated any time they rearrange channels, so many providers that still have clear QAM channels don't bother, except for maybe the local broadcast channels, because the equipment that generates it can often just take what is available in the OTA broadcast and use that to generate the cable data automatically. The specific thing needed is a cable virtual channel table (CVCT), but most people just refer to it as PSIP because the CVCT is defined in the Program and System Information Protocol, which is part of the ATSC broadcast standard.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”