prime 6 vs prime 3?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jeffddntdt

Re: prime 6 vs prime 3?

Postby jeffddntdt » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 am

At the rate things are going, by the time sd gets the prime released. Plex would have already gotten there online streaming service running. That would allow for connecting to Netflix, Hulu, and others. By then there would be no need for the prime.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:23 am

Isn't it possible that CableLabs has simply stopped approving new CableCard end user, mass market devices? They would never announce this, or make it public policy, but it might be what the Cable Cos really want. They'll just string SD along for years, never quite allowing the Prime6 to be approved. Yes, I realize this could be a conspiracy theory, but seems worth considering at this point
I don't tend to subscribe to conspiracy theories... As long as it's legal to do so, CableLabs most likely welcomes the income generated by approving additional products. I think what we're seeing here is a small company (SiliconDust) spreading itself thin on a bunch of projects and ultimately not doing a great job managing the release of information on the new products. They probably shouldn't have announced the 6 tuner Prime and held off until they had CableLabs certification AND inventory was on the way to their warehouse. Instead, they leaked info about it quite some time ago, formally announced it a few times, and nothing has materialized after all this time which gets frustrating after a while. It's obvious that priorities sometimes change, but that's why it's often best to hold off on product announcements.

pstemper

Postby pstemper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 am

My issue was that I had two of the Primes (brand new), all working great for many years. Then, one day, one prime wouldn't work anymore, and two days later the other died (strange coincidence I think.) I contacted SD, and they said they are out of warranty, and there is nothing they can do to get them working again. So, I decided I better buy two new ones (since I really do like my TV.) (BTW: It wasn't the common "bad power supply" problem people have encountered with the Primes. I checked that..

The problem was, since SD announced the Prime 6 they quit making the Prime. So no one has any in stock... I contacted SD again for suggestions, and they stated that they would give me a discount on the 6 when it is released (something all previous SD owners get), and that I could try to find used Primes for sale. Well, I did (through EBAY and such), but they are VERY expensive since the market is light on Primes.. I had a hard time paying what I did for two used Primes, but I needed my TV back. Now, my fear is when are these two USED ones going to die (like my original ones.) I was hoping the Prime 6 would be out by now and I wouldn't haven't to worry... My BIGGEST fear is the Prime 6 will never see the light of day, and my two used Primes die. Then I am out of luck...

I agree with not announcing a product until you have a good idea of when it will be made available. Otherwise people will constantly bug you for it before it is ready. But to stop making the ONLY CableCard product they sell because they announced a new one MIGHT come out SOMEDAY, makes me a bit angry. I know, it is their choice and their right, but it does make a bit of a schism between company and consumers.

rmalbers

Postby rmalbers » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 am

Ya, I would think they are really spanking themselves for not running another production run of prime 3's. Anyway, I'm sort of wondering if cable card certification requires initial production units and they didn't/don't have any yet. Anyway, with the CES announcement of products, with availability dates and prices, I guess we now know what SD had been up to. I guess they felt they had to do something right now to compete with Amazon's dvr/tuner product/s, that's going to be hard to do, to me the prime units are what SD has going for it, the OTA stuff is going to be commodity hardware with no profits at all, just profit in the services.

Sorahl

Postby Sorahl » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 pm

its gonna be Christmas one of these days :) we will open up the
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/
and :) it will no longer say Coming Soon and a link to BUY will be available.. :) then we'll deplete their supply in 1 hr.

its a dream I have :) and I know that dreams come true.

pstemper

Postby pstemper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

I am hoping your dream will come true, and soon. It is also a dream of mine! :lol:

uconnctfan33
Device ID: 1322E4EF

Postby uconnctfan33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 pm

I am hoping your dream comes true also with the exception that they don’t sell out in an hour. :lol:

heyted

Postby heyted » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Nick and crew, If DRM issues are preventing the release of the Prime 6, please consider releasing the Prime 6 without full DRM support and updating the necessary software after the initial release.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:34 pm

At the rate things are going, by the time sd gets the prime released. Plex would have already gotten there online streaming service running. That would allow for connecting to Netflix, Hulu, and others. By then there would be no need for the prime.
I think of it like the reverse. Soon we'll have even more different streaming services. CBS has their own thing. Disney is pulling all of their stuff out of Netflix so that they can do their own thing. NBC wants to do their own thing but keeps messing up (*cough*seeso*cough*). Apple wants to do their own live thing. The cordcutters are getting frustrated because by the time you have a subscription to everything, you're not really saving any money.

And to have them all working in one app? Nah, they won't allow that. They're not going to Plex or anyone else do that. They all want their own UI that pushes their own content, gathering their own analytics, and they don't want to share that data with anyone. People have been begging Netflix to stop running auto-playing trailers, and countless other UI changes (like finally following Android TV UI guidelines), and Netflix doesn't listen. You know why? They have data that shows that coloring a button one way produces more clicks than coloring it another way. They want to micromanage it all.

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 pm

Nick and crew, If DRM issues are preventing the release of the Prime 6, please consider releasing the Prime 6 without full DRM support and updating the necessary software after the initial release.
I don't think it's a matter of DRM issues, but even if it were that probably wouldn't be possible. CableCARD itself is the DRM system. What we think of as "DRM support" is mainly support for channels flagged as enforcing additional restrictions, but to be certified as a cableCARD device you have to support the entire system. Even if you exclude the specific channels, the tuner would still need to understand the difference between them, and a bunch of other stuff.

Even if it's just a matter of delaying the HDHomeRun recording software supporting DRM-restricted channels, the Prime 6-side of things would still need to support the whole CableCARD system. At least, as far as I understand it, and my understanding of CableCARD involves colorful drawings and puppets (it took them a long time to get me to understand it).

Billi23
Device ID: 1323AADB

Postby Billi23 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am

my understanding of CableCARD involves colorful drawings and puppets (it took them a long time to get me to understand it)
Laughed when I saw that. :lol: Is it a cartoon available in the public domain or internal only?
I get the only DRM Show I'm interested in (live or recorded) streamed using the T-Company product and their iOS App.
I've not been able to even stream it live using SD's iOS App.
See thread started April 27, 2018, almost 9 months ago viewtopic.php?f=119&t=68523

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 am

The cordcutters are getting frustrated because by the time you have a subscription to everything, you're not really saving any money.
Welcome NedS.

The CableCARD customers are getting VERY frustrated because the only thing Silicondust wants to talk about is cord cutting. Even this HDHomeRun Prime thread is getting hijacked with cord cutting talk.

heyted

Postby heyted » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 am

Even if it's just a matter of delaying the HDHomeRun recording software supporting DRM-restricted channels, the Prime 6-side of things would still need to support the whole CableCARD system.
Thanks Ned. I was referring to getting CableLabs certification, supporting the whole CableCARD system, and not waiting for SD's software to fully support DRM content if the software is not ready when the the P6 is ready.

greynolds

Postby greynolds » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:38 am

Even if it's just a matter of delaying the HDHomeRun recording software supporting DRM-restricted channels, the Prime 6-side of things would still need to support the whole CableCARD system.
Thanks Ned. I was referring to getting CableLabs certification, supporting the whole CableCARD system, and not waiting for SD's software to fully support DRM content if the software is not ready when the the P6 is ready.
Yeah, there were some posts a while back in one of the threads that said the Prime 6 wouldn't ship until the SD DVR software had "full" DRM support (for some definition of DRM). Those of us using Windows Media Center or who just don't have (m)any DRM protected channels just want the 6 tuner Prime ASAP and don't really care about coordinating the release of the Prime 6 with DRM support in the SD DVR software. I definitely get the marketing value that can come with putting out products that complement each other together, but at this point I think it would be far better to just get something out the door even if it means the coordinated release doesn't happen.

The whole cutting the cord thing is all well and good, but there are still several issues:

1) A huge wild card that still remains is local sports broadcasts. I'm not aware of a good way to get our local regional sports network (NESN) that carries the Red Sox and Bruins games without a cable TV subscription. Until that changes, I've got no plans to get rid of our cable TV service.

2) Another issue is audio formats. With our cable TV feed, we get 5.1 audio from most channels, but with many of the streaming options you only get 2 channel audio. We all know that 5.1 is possible given that Netflix and other services have it available.

3) The other issue of having to subscribe to a bunch of different services and apps to get everything you want also needs to change at some point. There are definitely ways the providers can get the usage data they care about without having to each have their own app - the content providers and app providers just need to be smart about it and do something crazy like work together to make it happen.

jeffddntdt

Postby jeffddntdt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:05 am

If Cablelabs is the main thing holding up the Prime, then I see them just hurting themselves. The main thing keeping cable alive is sports. All the important shows are already being streamed somewhere. Most people aren't going to squabble over audio streams.

The longer it takes for certification of these devices the more likely they won't be needed (at least as much, not saying everyone would abandon ship). But once everything becomes available on streaming services (regional sports or conference networks, and the like) and cable companies don't drop rates, then you will see the death of cable tv and with it Cablelabs. Even with cable companies starting their own apps could create the end of Cablelabs. With no devices, why need certification?

Not saying the demise is near, but the slower it takes for devices like the prime to be release. The faster the decline in cable usage.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”