TOSLINK from HDMI Audio Extractor

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jrpatx

TOSLINK from HDMI Audio Extractor

Postby jrpatx » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:32 am

Considering upgrading to Nvidia Shield for HDHR-DVR playback (and Netflix) but will need to extract DD 5.1 audio from the HDMI output via TOSLINK to feed sound into Vizio 5.1 soundbar. Anyone have any luck with products like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor ... B00KBHX072

My concerns are:

1) Will the DD 5.1 audio from non-DRM OTA recordings on HDHR-DVR (and from Netflix streams) pass through intact to the soundbar?

2) Will there be any audio sync issues? Can't stand even slight lip-sync skew.

3) Will there be any wake-up handshake issues that might occasionally require power cycling or input switching to cure? This would definitely impact the WAF!

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

John

tmm1

Re: TOSLINK from HDMI Audio Extractor

Postby tmm1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:43 am

I've used one of these before with my Vizio soundbar and it works really well. No avsync issues.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Considering upgrading to Nvidia Shield for HDHR-DVR playback (and Netflix) but will need to extract DD 5.1 audio from the HDMI output via TOSLINK to feed sound into Vizio 5.1 soundbar. Anyone have any luck with products like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor ... B00KBHX072

My concerns are:

1) Will the DD 5.1 audio from non-DRM OTA recordings on HDHR-DVR (and from Netflix streams) pass through intact to the soundbar?

2) Will there be any audio sync issues? Can't stand even slight lip-sync skew.

3) Will there be any wake-up handshake issues that might occasionally require power cycling or input switching to cure? This would definitely impact the WAF!

Appreciate any advice! Thanks!

John
If using the Shield you should get one that Supports 4K … 3820x2160@60fps at least. I got something like the below because I needed extra ports and HDCP Passthrough.... But if you not need a switch make sure you get one that does 4K@60H and HDCP passthrough.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076X ... UTF8&psc=1

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 pm

We're using one of these: J-Tech Digital Ultra HD 4K HDMI to HDMI + Audio (Spdif + RCA Stereo) Audio Extractor Converter(Support Apple TV 4 Gen) Premium Quality with a FireTV Gen. 2.

It works. Had to turn HDMI-CEC off, because occasionally we'd get nothing but a black screen and we'd have to power-cycle either the FTV or the converter. That stopped once I turned off HDMI-CEC on the FTV.

But be advised: Netflix, Amazon Prime and others transmit DD+, not DD 5.1. (Despite the fact they label the stuff "5.1".) Neither the Shield nor this device will transcode the DD+ -> DD 5.1. All you'll get is Pro Logic. (Only Apple TV and Amazon FireTV properly transcode DD+ -> DD 5.1.)

I'll tell you something else I found. I'd purchased an optical switch so I could switch the receiver's optical input between TV and FTV. Turned out I needn't have. That extractor strips the HDCP from the HDMI. We're getting DD 5.1 from the FTV -> TV -> TOSLINK now.

jrpatx

Postby jrpatx » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:01 am

Thanks to all 3 of you! Based on jseymour's info it seems like one of these non-HDCP-compliant boxes that simply strip off the HDCP data leaving you with unencrypted HDMI would be even better than a box with certified HDCP pass through capability, no?

At this point I'm still using my ancient WD TV Live box to stream Netflix. The UI is clunky and slow but once streaming begins it looks and sounds fine. I guess it must be transcoding the DD+ to DD 5.1 for the TOSLINK output because the sound bar lights up the DolbyDigital indicator and there's no unintended music or sounds from the rear surrounds like you get with simulated 5.1 audio. Sounds like I may have to stick with this dinosaur box for Netflix until/unless I upgrade the sound bar to a more modern one. Which takes away half of the reason for the Shield upgrade in the first place...

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 am

Or switch to a FireTV or Apple TV. Those are the only two that handle DD+ -> DD transcoding.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”