OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
fisherd

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Post by fisherd » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm

Add me to the list of people with issues with WTVD Ch11.

I am in Apex and have a Quad. Over the last few weeks been trying to figure out whats going on. I have tried different antennas / placements and adding a LTE filter. I am glad to see SD is working on fix.

Do we know if this is WTVD CH11 only or a issue for all Hi-VHF channels? With the FCC repack we will have several stations in the area moving from UHF to Hi-VHF next year.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:19 pm

The issue is specific to WTVD and a handful of other stations (WFYI in Indianapolis, WJZ in Baltimore, KVUE in Austin, and WWJ in Detroit have encountered it at various points in the past, but it seems to randomly pop up then later disappear for no discernible reason). It has nothing to do with VHF vs. UHF, as WFYI, KVUE, and WWJ are all transmitting on UHF, and there are hundreds of VHF stations across the country that don't exhibit this behavior.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Why does the problem only seem to show up on the newer Connect Duo/Quattro hardware and not the older Connect? Will there be a solution or not? I just disconnected my Duo tuner and reconnected my old Hauppauge USB tuner to my Shield TV running Live Channels and it looks fine on WTVD 11. Frankly I'm looking into plausible alternatives. How about throwing me a bone!

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:34 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:19 pm
The issue is specific to WTVD and a handful of other stations (WFYI in Indianapolis, WJZ in Baltimore, KVUE in Austin, and WWJ in Detroit have encountered it at various points in the past, but it seems to randomly pop up then later disappear for no discernible reason).
WWJ wrote back to me, after touching base with SD, and wrote, in part:
The only known abnormality is that the last pilot carrier frequency measurement had a deviation of -60Hz. The ATSC standard stipulates a frequency tolerance of +/- 1KHz.

Please let us know how else we might assist with resolving this problem.

Since that reply was sent, we corrected the pilot carrier deviation issue. Perhaps that has resolved your tuner problem as well.
Hard to believe a mere 60Hz pilot carrier deviation would have been the cause, but, after they corrected it: Problem solved. WWJ has been as solid as all the other stations, since.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Holy Cow! I don't know what changed but WTVD is looking good. Slightly lower signal strength (93%), with 100% for signal and symbol quality. Sweet! If it stays that way for a while I'm going to renew my DVR subscription. "Live Channels" is awful.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Spoke too soon. It's messing up again. As bad as ever. Dad gum!

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 pm

It amazes me that many of you have been given a suggested solution but haven't tried it. Get a few f connector attenuators and insert them before your device. This may solve your 100% pixelation issue. A local channel may be overdriving the quartto I have 10 db of attenuation inserted and it helped resolve my Quattro issues. Try it.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Wbmanx wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 pm
It amazes me that many of you have been given a suggested solution but haven't tried it. Get a few f connector attenuators and ...
Perhaps you failed to notice SD has acknowledged there's a problem that's not related to signal strength?

Btw: Despite the fact that, in my case, the signal for the problematical station was only in the mid-80's or so, I tried 3dB and 6dB of attenuation, anyway. It did not fix the problem and made some channels with marginal signal strength, pre-attenuator, unusable.

I've three stations at 100% signal strength and one at 98%. All four are rock solid.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 am

My signal strength is still at 92-93% but signal and symbol quality dropping from 100 to 0 every few seconds again.

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:36 pm

jseymour wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 pm
Wbmanx wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 pm
It amazes me that many of you have been given a suggested solution but haven't tried it. Get a few f connector attenuators and ...
Perhaps you failed to notice SD has acknowledged there's a problem that's not related to signal strength?

Btw: Despite the fact that, in my case, the signal for the problematical station was only in the mid-80's or so, I tried 3dB and 6dB of attenuation, anyway. It did not fix the problem and made some channels with marginal signal strength, pre-attenuator, unusable.

I've three stations at 100% signal strength and one at 98%. All four are rock solid.
Perhaps you read something into my quote that I didn't right. I never referred to signal strength. I have added about 10db of attenuation in front of my quattro. This did lower my signal strength which I didn't mention above, however it did increase my signal quality by 15% across the board. This eliminated my signal and symbol fluctuations. My symbol fluctuations were bouncing from 100% to 0% which was causing me to get pixelation. This same signal that I have going to my tv with no attenuation was to my TVs without causing any issues but was blowing out my quattro. I didnt discover this by myself. I found it on another forum a few weeks ago. It fact, when I added attenuation I got more channels. Yes, my signal may be coming in a bit hot even though I am 65 miles away from 95% of my channels. I do have one channel that is literally 2 miles away from me in direct LOS that I have to deal. I am using a Clearstream 4max with a homemade reflector and a 7777HD to boost the signal through my 100 ft of coaxial cable. But it works well for the TVs but is a bit hot for my quattro.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 pm

They read your post just fine (and don't know how anyone could even think you didn't refer to signal strength since you mentioned using an attenuator)... the issue with this particular station is something else entirely if you read the whole thread prior to posting... particularly read jasonl's post confirming that ( viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166&p=335434#p335180 )

It is very similar to an issue the 3rd gen had on a firmware update where signal would go between 100 and 0 every 30 seconds for a few stations.

The issue you are referring to is "entirely" about signal strength (too hot messes up quality) and why you had to add antenation as one does not know how much above 100% they are (so I always suggest to bring it down lower than 100% so at least you know what your numbers are)

Wbmanx

Post by Wbmanx » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:44 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 pm
They read your post just fine (and don't know how anyone could even think you didn't refer to signal strength since you mentioned using an attenuator)... the issue with this particular station is something else entirely if you read the whole thread prior to posting... particularly read jasonl's post confirming that ( viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166&p=335434#p335180 )

It is very similar to an issue the 3rd gen had on a firmware update where signal would go between 100 and 0 every 30 seconds for a few stations.

The issue you are referring to is "entirely" about signal strength (too hot messes up quality) and why you had to add antenation as one does not know how much above 100% they are (so I always suggest to bring it down lower than 100% so at least you know what your numbers are)
I agree with you. I do believe that there is a signal quality lock issue. I have been monitoring the output on a spectrum analyzer. I have more issues with VHF than UHF.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:10 am

Silicon Dust has been awfully quiet about any coming firmware fixes for the Duo/Quatro tuners. Sick of waiting so I bought a Connect and it's working fine. I feel abused.

jfabernathy

Post by jfabernathy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 am

bmitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:10 am
Silicon Dust has been awfully quiet about any coming firmware fixes for the Duo/Quatro tuners. Sick of waiting so I bought a Connect and it's working fine. I feel abused.
I don't know how you use your HDHR's but I use them for Mythtv backend recording of OTA ATSC programming. With that software it's easy to setup channel 11.x recordings and LiveTV to not use the Quatro, but stay on the old Connect. So I can forget it's a problem for now.

bmitchell

Post by bmitchell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:38 am

I have my antenna coax going to a 2 way splitter with 1 side going to a 9+yo **** HD that refuses to die and until it does, you will have to pry it from my wife's cold dead hands and the other side going to the HD Homerun Connect. The Connect is wired directly to the router and I use it to stream wirelessly to the rest of the house.

I used to run their DVR software on my Shield TV. It is not even close to the **** in functionality but usually good enough and better than the other (not ****) options I've tried. I let it expire when all this started happening with WTVD. So for now all recording is being done on the ****.

The reason I feel abused is because buying the older model Connect is like rewarding them (Silicon Dust) for making a bad product. Maybe they will fix the issue, maybe not. I can't help thinking that if they could they would have already and in the meantime they're depending on us to come up with workarounds. For now, the holidays are in full swing and I'm patiently giving them a chance but how many new users think they have antenna issues or something not tuner related. I won't shill for a company that doesn't support what it sells and they are being very quiet.

Jim, I feel like we've met.