OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
bmitchell

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Postby bmitchell » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:42 am

I ran the commands and got this.

C:\Users\bill2>"%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 10604ca7 save /tuner0 sample.ts
........t.tt..........t..t...n........t........t..tt.........tt.....
-- Video statistics --
126900 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 1 network errors, 3712 transport errors, 48 sequence errors

I couldn't find a file to upload anywhere and I did't have the option to specify a location. Oh well.
Looking at the statistics though the number of transport and sequence errors are interesting.

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

my sample.ts was in the directory I ran the command from. I uploaded it to my Google drive and replies with the link

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Any status update? One of the following would be helpful...

1) Haven't had much time to analyze and don't understand the problem
2) Spent lots of time and don't understand the problem
3) Understand the problem, but don't know a solution
4) Understand the problem, know solution but not sure how to implement
5) Understand the problem, know solution, know how to implement, not sure when done
6) Understand the problem, know solution, know how to implement, will be ready xx/xx/xx

All are acceptable answers. I understand you have a lot on your plates. Just would like to know what's going on. I have people to answer to.

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:52 pm

Any status update? One of the following would be helpful...

1) Haven't had much time to analyze and don't understand the problem
2) Spent lots of time and don't understand the problem
3) Understand the problem, but don't know a solution
4) Understand the problem, know solution but not sure how to implement
5) Understand the problem, know solution, know how to implement, not sure when done
6) Understand the problem, know solution, know how to implement, will be ready xx/xx/xx

All are acceptable answers. I understand you have a lot on your plates. Just would like to know what's going on. I have people to answer to.
IMHO, it's up to SD from the data they are collecting from a few of us with Quatro's to either give us a firmware fix, or working with the affected broadcasters to fix their equipment.

Wbmanx

Postby Wbmanx » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 pm

I have had the very same issue as all of you. I solved the problem by inserting 10 to 20 dB of attenuation out the input of the Quattro. It solves the problem. The tuner is very sensitive and your signal is too hot for it so end up with drop outs.

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:20 am

I have had the very same issue as all of you. I solved the problem by inserting 10 to 20 dB of attenuation out the input of the Quattro. It solves the problem. The tuner is very sensitive and your signal is too hot for it so end up with drop outs.
for me that would mean loosing some stations. I'm equal distance from all the network towers in Garner, NC. They are all 100%. However, the UNC Chapel Hill tower is 50% at best, but it's solid. Since I have 2 antennas pointed at 90% one toward Garner and one toward Chapel Hill I get good signal with a combiner drop of about 4 dB. I have tried a crappy old antenna and 2 splitters in line to get 10 dB drop down to 70 percent and channel 11 was still bad with with 70% signal strength. Now it's bad with 100%.

My new setup works great now on all TVs and the HDHR Connect. Problems are just the Quatro and Channel 11.

rljnc

Postby rljnc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:02 am

Agree I have tried something similar and it had no effect on channel 11 issue, it’s a problem with the quatro.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:56 am

In 'the old days' a notch filter could be purchased (or made - with some difficulty) for one particular channel. Here is a discussion that may lead somewhere (this discussion is probably dated):
https://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16201
Keep in mind if either of the two companies mentioned are still in bidness and able to build a custom notch filter - be sitting down when they quote the price.

[removed by moderator]

bmitchell

Postby bmitchell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:19 pm

If the older Connect gets good quality reception, I don't see a firmware fix in the cards. Since WTVD channel 11 reception is reported to be good on the Connect, my **** and set tuners, it seems to be a hardware problem that for some reason surfaced for all of us here at the same time. Maybe the VHF band within the newer hardware is very signal selective, to the point of degrading the signal in the case of drift or some other transmitter anomaly that the station can't or won't fix because they don't see it as a problem or more likely as their problem. I know Silicon Dust is examining the issue but there may not be a fix other than hardware. For the sake of all of us including the folks at SD, I hope that's not the case.

If the older HDHR Connect works as it should I would happily exchange my now 1 Year old HDHR Connect Duo for the older HDHR Connect.

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

The refund/exchange window is shrinking and it has been awfully quiet. A status as suggested above would sure help.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:54 am

We have confirmed a problem relating to WTVD Channel 11 (Raleigh).

It looks like the demodualtor firmware is not adapting to the signal correctly resulting in errors.

We are working with our demodulator vendor to get it resolved. Once resolved it will be fixed via a firmware update.

Note that the WTVD Channel 11 issue does not related to signal level as per the thread title.

Nick

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:10 pm

We have confirmed a problem relating to WTVD Channel 11 (Raleigh).

It looks like the demodualtor firmware is not adapting to the signal correctly resulting in errors.

We are working with our demodulator vendor to get it resolved. Once resolved it will be fixed via a firmware update.

Note that the WTVD Channel 11 issue does not related to signal level as per the thread title.

Nick
Thanks for the update. I like problems that can be solved by firmware. :D

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Fantastic news! I want this to work more than you can imagine.

revengineer

Postby revengineer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:25 pm

Is this the same issue we are seeing in the Baltimore area for channels WBAL (11.1) and WJZ (13.1)?

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:11 am

Is this the same issue we are seeing in the Baltimore area for channels WBAL (11.1) and WJZ (13.1)?
Note sure, but if you open an issue with the technical support team at SiliconDust they could run the same test on your HDHR to see. If I were them I'd want a wide sample of stations causing problems with the Quatro and Duo before I released new firmware. You'd want to fix as many problems as you can without screwing up currently working stations.

Jim A

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”