OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
embj

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Postby embj » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:54 pm

I got acknowledgement today that they got the test data and it's been forwarded to the engineers working this problem. Sounds like they know they have an issue with the Quatro and Duo that they didn't have with the original Connect.
Did you ever hear anything else back from the engineers at WTVD?

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 am

I have not heard back from the Channel 11 engineer. I really don't think I will. I'm assuming that it's purely a SiliconDust issue on their new tuners only, Quatro and Duo. ABC11 is the only VHF station there is around Raleigh.

I decided to put up 2 antennas in my attic and combine their signal minimizing off channel aiming. I now have one antenna pointed toward the Garner towers and one pointed toward the UNC Chapel Hill PBS towers.

With this setup I have no issues with ABC11 on any TV or the HDHR Connect. 100% across the board. UNC is in the 50% range but still solid since I'm high enough to not have tree interference.

Since I use Mythtv to record everything and watch it later to skip commercials, I can set it up to only use my Connect for LiveTV and Channel 11. The Quatro for everything else. So it solves my problem. If I didn't have a old Connect I'd be stuck.

Hopefully SiliconDust will get us some new firmware that fixes this soon.

Jim A

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Add me to the list of people in the Raleigh/Durham area anxiously waiting for a fix. I just bought the Quatro on Nov 10. Great timing!

I did submit a ticket yesterday before I saw this topic but have only gotten a "what antenna are you using" response. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't bothering to respond because they are aware of the problem and feverishly working on a solution.

I also sent an email to the WTVD chief engineer and never heard back.

Please keep this topic updated whenever someone hears something. Like an earlier post, I have over $500 invested in this setup and will have to return all that I can if WTVD isn't fixed.

B1GD4DDY

Postby B1GD4DDY » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:47 am

Bubbster,

Thanks for the link, but that’s not what we are experiencing. This is a specific channel, WTVD, which was working for the past ~6 months. 2 weeks ago it started pixelating.

Signal strength stays at 93%, Signal quality at 100%, Symbol Quality at 100%.

Roughly every 15-20 secs the screen will become very pixelated. When this happens, Signal strength stays at 93%, Signal quality drops in the yellow to red range (60-0%) and Symbol Quality drops to 0%. This happens for 3-5 secs, then Signal/Symbol Quality both return to 100% and pixelation stops.

Pixelation occurs on all my devices, PC, NVIDIA Shield, Fire TV 3/4, Fire HD tablet and iPad. I don’t have pixelation on any other channels except WTVD.

Maybe SD can come up with a fix to address the behavior, but it appears WTVD changed something on their end.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:40 am

Roughly every 15-20 secs the screen will become very pixelated. When this happens, Signal strength stays at 93%, Signal quality drops in the yellow to red range (60-0%) and Symbol Quality drops to 0%. This happens for 3-5 secs, then Signal/Symbol Quality both return to 100% and pixelation stops.

Pixelation occurs on all my devices, PC, NVIDIA Shield, Fire TV 3/4, Fire HD tablet and iPad. I don’t have pixelation on any other channels except WTVD.
This is precisely what was happening with our CONNECT Quatro on local channel 62, WWJ. It's a UHF channel, though. And, as with you guys, it reportedly just came out of the blue. Since that was our most difficult station, that was the station I used to eval the tuner. I was this >< close to returning the tuner because it did worse on that station than anything else in the house. When I found it was just that one station, and the HDHR CQ actually did better than everything else in the house on every other station, I decided to keep it. Turned out SD had already been made aware of the problem, but hadn't yet determined what was causing it. I reached out to the station's Engineers, and they reached out to SD. All they could determine was the station's pilot carrier was 60Hz off-frequency. Well within the ATSC standard (±1KHz) and a deviation of only 0.000009%. They corrected it, anyway. Much to my surprise: The problem went away.

I followed-up to SD. They never responded.

SteveT3

Postby SteveT3 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:14 am

I got acknowledgement today that they got the test data and it's been forwarded to the engineers working this problem. Sounds like they know they have an issue with the Quatro and Duo that they didn't have with the original Connect.
Did you ever hear anything else back from the engineers at WTVD?
How do we know the latest Firmware? I have Quatro Firmware Version20180803. How and where do we get firmware update and how to install. Thanks

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:29 am

The latest firmware is on the SD site in the Download section. You use the hdhomerun_config utility to update the firmware

kincaidj001

Postby kincaidj001 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Now this explains why I haven't even seen WTVD (Raleigh) lately. And, I'm just about to connect up my brand new today Quatro. Grrr

B1GD4DDY

Postby B1GD4DDY » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Already using Version 20180817 on my Connect Quatro.

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm

If you do a fresh install of the HD Homerun software it will update the firmware. I use the config program a lot for testing and it has an option for updating firmware

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Based on jseymour's post I decided to contact a WTVD engineer. I pointed to this topic and quoted jseymour's comments about the station being slightly out of whack and correcting it worked. I asked the engineer if they could make a correction if needed even though they are probably well within spec.
It's a generic email address so who knows who will see it and if anyone there is interested.

skeetwood_mac

Postby skeetwood_mac » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:53 am

I'll add to the chorus here regarding the problem with WTVD Channel 11 out of Raleigh with the Quatro tuner. I recently moved back to the Triangle and was setting up my attic antenna yesterday, and I spent the better part of a day ripping my hair out and cursing the signal quality meter on my iPhone, lol. Swapped antennas, coax, splitters...the works. I finally decided to test using my older Connect Duo as a final troubleshooting measure, and boom...signal was ROCK SOLID. I almost went out to the driveway to drive over the Quatro with my truck a few times to let off some steam, haha.

I decided the search the Silicon Dust forums this morning after enough time had passed for me to regain my composure, and this thread has restored my sanity. There is absolutely something slightly off with channel 11's signal and more importantly, the Quatro's ability to deal with it. My older Connect Duo and my TV's internal tuner have no problem with this station at all.

I'm pleased that Silicon Dust has acknowledged and is working on this issue, and I'm looking forward to a firmware update to fix it in the near future.

jfabernathy

Postby jfabernathy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:25 pm

I just got an email from SD about running another test and capturing video from Channel 11 in Raleigh. I posted the video on Google Drive for them to see. In 1 minute it broke up 3 times. Not sure what the commands did, but it set some filter.

More later. Hopefully, they are coming up with a fix.

dtrottman

Postby dtrottman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Same here. Just got the same request and sent them a file. Hope it helps!

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”