OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Postby signcarver » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm

I am seconding ctv's comment and also look forward to a fix for my (just purchased) Quatro.
Hate to return it since it is part of my cable cutting plan. On the FCC "TV Query Results" for my location it turned out all the Vhf/Uhf transmitters that I want to view and record happen to share the same location - so I don't have the option of de-tuning the antenna in order to reduce signal strength of the single offending (pixilating) transmitter.
Hats off the knowledgeable and persistent people who seem to have nailed it.
A little confused as this issue has nothing to do with strength... if it is a strength issue you most likely will still have to adjust so i suggest you do so to determine which issue you have (of course it doesn't help that the title of this thread is "OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal" which is usually a different issue).

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:08 pm

... (of course it doesn't help that the title of this thread is "OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal" which is usually a different issue).
One suspects the OP worded it that way due to a not-unreasonable expectation that 100% signal strength should result in rock-solid performance. I.e.: "Despite 100% signal strength..."

While it's always been possible to overload receiver front-ends, in the world of TV tuners most people haven't experienced tuners as easily overloaded as SD's HDHR CONNECT tuners. I know it's a first for me.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 am

My pixelation issue was identified months ago as an Nvidia issue with WDTN in Dayton Ohio. Am I correct to still assume this thread has nothing to do with that issue?

It was the same issue people were having with nvidia and a station in Dallas Tx if I recall correctly.

Roginator

Postby Roginator » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:09 pm

I believe this same problem may be impacting some users of the Recast. My guess is they share some components.

The Recast tuners are also easily overpowered.

heresam

Postby heresam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

My pixelation issue was identified months ago as an Nvidia issue with WDTN in Dayton Ohio. Am I correct to still assume this thread has nothing to do with that issue?

It was the same issue people were having with nvidia and a station in Dallas Tx if I recall correctly.
The SD tuners are causing the pixelation. My 6 or 7 year old Panasonic TC-P55ST50 pulls in those Dallas signals from the ABC broadcast channel perfectly using the built in tuner connected to a rabbit ears antenna. But for several months trying to watch that channel on a 2015 Shield through a Connect with 100% across the board signal has been next to impossible. When will SD stop ignoring the problem and provide a firmware fix. I say this cause I am hoping one of their recent firmware updates caused this and that it's not defective hardware. In any case it's time for some answers.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm

When will SD stop ignoring the problem and provide a firmware fix. I say this cause I am hoping one of their recent firmware updates caused this and that it's not defective hardware. In any case it's time for some answers.
About nine posts back, if you'd bother to read the thread:
Our demod hardware vendor got back to us today, confirming that they have successfully reproduced the problem with the RF captures we made.

We are now waiting for them to fix the problem.

Nick

heresam

Postby heresam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:30 pm

[removed by moderator]

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:38 pm

SD can't provide any "firmware" fix for your issue as it would have to come from nvidia since it is the nvidia graphics that is causing your issue as the issue isn't in the tuner but the client machine (the tuner simply transmits the bits it gets)... they should* be providing a firmware fix for the issue that this thread is about (that is one of the reasons why one is to open their own threads as issues are different. SD might be able to do a workaround in client software (such as using software decoding) but why waste energy on that when nvidia has said they are looking at the issue.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 am

SD can't provide any "firmware" fix for your issue as it would have to come from nvidia since it is the nvidia graphics that is causing your issue as the issue isn't in the tuner but the client machine ...
There are two separate issues: One is in the Nvidia Shield, the other is in the SD HDHR QC.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am

I probably should have quoted heresam as my reply for that previous post that has since been moderated (I don't like quotes when the reply is the very next post and I will edit if someone squeezes something in) and as a result my reply may seem out of context. Basically what was stated was an issue requesting a firmware update by sd to fix an nvidia issue.

that issue can also be present on windows with nvidia graphics, not necessarily limited to shield

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:41 am

I probably should have quoted heresam ... Basically what was stated was an issue requesting a firmware update by sd to fix an nvidia issue.
In heresam's case we don't know whether he's seeing the effects of the Nvidia problem (acknowledged by Nvidia, IIRC?) or the HDHR QC problem (acknowledged by SD and their vendor is working on it). Could be either. Could be both. Either way: It's not like SD's just sitting on their hands, as a perusal of the thread will reveal.

Make no mistake: The quicker the HDHR QC problem is fixed, the better. Three of our favourite programs are on the problem channel. I've now suspended their recording schedule as there's no point. Our backup DVR, a Channel Master DVR+, has a lousy tuner. If there's the slightest bit of bad weather, it, too, is worthless. So it's live on the TV or nothing.

I would really hate to have to go buy a CONNECT Duo fix this problem. Not because of the cost, so much as that would mean splitting the signal and we'd lose some already-marginal stations :( (Tested it with a 3dB attenuator.) But there's no point beating up on SD about it. They're doing what they can to get it all straightened-out.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 pm

The issue with WFAA (Dallas ABC) is the NVIDIA decoder problem, not the HDHomeRun.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:00 am

The issue with WFAA (Dallas ABC) is the NVIDIA decoder problem, not the HDHomeRun.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Is Nvidia even working on this? If I can't get a resolution I need to move on.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Some places they have said that they have no plans to fix it, other places that they're still looking at it. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 am

Some places they have said that they have no plans to fix it, other places that they're still looking at it. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I need to build a new HTPC anyhow, perhaps I'll simply use a built-in video or get an AMD card.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”