OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
needavid

Re: OTA station has pixelation with 100% signal

Postby needavid » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:01 pm

An earlier poster called it! They just closed my ticket. No resolution, no contact, no nothing! They don't give a flop about these problems and they will never be fixed.

smakkz-

Postby smakkz- » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Interestingly, I'm having the same issue with WKBT in WI. I'm using an old HDHomeRun DUAL. Ticket submitted.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 pm

An earlier poster called it! They just closed my ticket. No resolution, no contact, no nothing! They don't give a flop about these problems and they will never be fixed.
Please tell me your ticket number and I will look into it. Sometimes the system will close inactive/old tickets, but simply replying to any of the e-mails will automatically reopen the same ticket. There's been some discussion on how to better track longer term issues (more than a few days or weeks), as our current arrangement isn't optimal for tracking those issues. So if your ticket was closed due to the way we have things set up, please rest assure that it was a technical issue with the system, and not an intentional dismissal of the issue or an attempt to ignore the customer.

needavid

Postby needavid » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Please tell me your ticket number and I will look into it. Sometimes the system will close inactive/old tickets, but simply replying to any of the e-mails will automatically reopen the same ticket. There's been some discussion on how to better track longer term issues (more than a few days or weeks), as our current arrangement isn't optimal for tracking those issues. So if your ticket was closed due to the way we have things set up, please rest assure that it was a technical issue with the system, and not an intentional dismissal of the issue or an attempt to ignore the customer.
My Ticket number is #111232. It was reopened after I responded (and I have since gotten a reply from Support on it). I went ballistic when I saw it closed yesterday, not knowing how your ticket system works. In my ticketing system at work, Closed is closed. We have "Pending" if it's on going. There was no notification of the status of the change, closed or otherwise, so that struck me as odd too. I apologize if I jumped to a quick conclusion and went crazy. We are all just very frustrated and want to put this all behind us.

ctv

Postby ctv » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Hello, I stumbled across this thread today. I am also in Austin and have been struggling with the same KVUE issue.
100% signal, But Quality drops every 30 seconds then the image is corrupted and audio drop.
I upgraded to 20180921 but caused image corruptions on Austin CBS KEYE.
So I have gone back to firmware 20180327.
Anyway, I sure hope SD creates a fix. Starting to research streaming TV services and SD Prime could be in the running if they resolve the tuner issues.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:01 am

I went ballistic when I saw it closed yesterday, not knowing how your ticket system works. In my ticketing system at work, Closed is closed.
That's the way it worked where I used to work: Closed was closed. Follow-up emails to closed tickets would be added to the ticket, but helpdesk people would receive no notification, it wouldn't show up in the list of tickets needing a response, and we rarely looked at the closed tickets unless we were looking for old information for some reason.

ctv

Postby ctv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:12 am

I ended up opening a ticket to hopefully keep focus on the issue. Another user in the same area with same problem.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:09 pm

Things are moving forward with this issue. Arrangements were made to send someone physically out to one of these problematic stations and capture some important data, allowing the engineers to see what exactly is different with those stations. That was just completed last night and they got the data! It still needs to be analyzed and consulted with the hardware vender that makes that demodulator component (possibly some dark magic might be involved as well), but it's a very big hurdle that has been cleared, as pretty much everything else hinged on getting that in-person data sample.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks for the update, NedS, and thanks to SD for pursuing the problem.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am

Looks like maybe it's baaaaack :(

Looks like the problem we had with Channel 62 (WWJ-TV) in Detroit is back. Signal strength a stable 83%. Doesn't vary as much as 1%. Signal Quality and Symbol Quality bouncing all over creation. Just like the problem I originally reported, when I first tested the Quatro.

We now have way too much invested in Silicon Dust to return the Quatro. I sure hope you guys identify and fix this quickly.

In the meantime: I guess it's back to the old Channel Master DVR+ to record stuff as a backup. Glad we kept that thing.
Last edited by jseymour on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Our demod hardware vendor got back to us today, confirming that they have successfully reproduced the problem with the RF captures we made.

We are now waiting for them to fix the problem.

Nick

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:18 pm

That's great. Thanks for the update, Nick!

ctv

Postby ctv » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm

That's great news!

UpStateNY

Postby UpStateNY » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm

I am seconding ctv's comment and also look forward to a fix for my (just purchased) Quatro.
Hate to return it since it is part of my cable cutting plan. On the FCC "TV Query Results" for my location it turned out all the Vhf/Uhf transmitters that I want to view and record happen to share the same location - so I don't have the option of de-tuning the antenna in order to reduce signal strength of the single offending (pixilating) transmitter.
Hats off the knowledgeable and persistent people who seem to have nailed it.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:45 pm

... so I don't have the option of de-tuning the antenna in order to reduce signal strength of the single offending (pixilating) transmitter.
If it's the same thing that's occurring to us, it's not signal strength, anyway. The station with which we're having trouble is at 83%.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”