[Solved] HDHomeRun Extend clearQAM poor signal quality

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
WashingtonMatt

[Solved] HDHomeRun Extend clearQAM poor signal quality

Postby WashingtonMatt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 pm

Since my initial purchase I've been intermittently fighting signal quality issues on various channels, one channel was especially bad. Signal would briefly drop out from 100%, causing glitchy playback. The TV with direct cable input received the channels just fine.

Moving the HDHomeRun on the shelf, or figiting with cables seemed to help. Occasionally I'd find that sweet spot and it would be good for a few weeks. I replaced cables and the splitter for the cable modem (spoiler). Still no good.

FF to present, Wave Cable started nagging about upgrading my cable modem, so I finally got around to it and replaced the Surfboard 6141 docsis 3.0 with an Arris SB8200 docsis 3.1, and what do you know, all fixed. All channels now have a strong stable signal.

So there you go, hope it helps someone. I probably should have just asked a long time ago :oops:

WashingtonMatt

Re: [Solved, sort of] HDHomeRun Extend clearQAM poor signal quality

Postby WashingtonMatt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I thought I'd post an update. It turns out that the issue is not resolved. Symptoms seem to be less severe and affect different, but more channels. I'm certain it's related to the cable modem. I haven't tried to move anything yet as it's all plugged into one large UPS. A filter or something would be preferable, but I intend to try moving the HDHR once I acquire another Ethernet switch.

If anyone else has dealt with this, I'm all ears.
Last edited by WashingtonMatt on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WashingtonMatt

Re: [Solved] HDHomeRun Extend clearQAM poor signal quality

Postby WashingtonMatt » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:43 pm

And another update. I had an epiphany a few days ago. I realized I could repurpose existing coax from the old satellite dish pretty easily. Just completed that, so the HDHR now has it's own run back to the panel. Seems to have eliminated the cable modem interference.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”