Cisco switch having UPNP issues

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
muzicman0

Cisco switch having UPNP issues

Postby muzicman0 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:07 am

I have a Cisco 4506-E switch at work that I am trying to get 2 HDHomeRun Primes to work on. I am getting UPNP issues, and it is not working in the application I am using (JRiver). Works fine in Plex, but the HDHomeRun setup is reporting the problem.

Does anyone know what settings need to be set on the switch?

Here is some IGMP info if it is helpful:

Code: Select all

hw-core-sw#sh ip igmp snooping vlan 113 detail Global IGMP Snooping configuration: ------------------------------------------- IGMP snooping : Enabled IGMPv3 snooping : Enabled Report suppression : Enabled TCN solicit query : Disabled TCN flood query count : 2 Last member query interval : 1000 Vlan 113: -------- IGMP snooping : Enabled CAPWAP enabled : Disabled IGMPv2 immediate leave : Disabled Explicit host tracking : Enabled Multicast router learning mode : pim-dvmrp CGMP interoperability mode : IGMP_ONLY Last member query interval : 1000 Topology change : No

gtb
Expert

Re: Cisco switch having UPNP issues

Postby gtb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Does anyone know what settings need to be set on the switch?
Do you have a igmp querier for that vlan? The switch can be used as the querier, but for more advanced configs your router would typically be doing that function.

muzicman0

Postby muzicman0 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:26 pm

i'll add querier and see if that works. I originally had it on another VLAN, that had querier enabled on another switch, and it still didn't work, but I will try it and see.

muzicman0

Postby muzicman0 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:29 pm

my bad, it was enabled, but it is IGMP version 2:

Code: Select all

hw-core-sw#sh ip igmp snooping querier vlan 113 detail IP address : 10.0.254.200 IGMP version : v2 Port : Switch Max response time : 10s Global IGMP switch querier status -------------------------------------------------------- admin state : Enabled admin version : 2 source IP address : 10.0.254.200 query-interval (sec) : 60 max-response-time (sec) : 10 querier-timeout (sec) : 120 tcn query count : 2 tcn query interval (sec) : 10 Vlan 113: IGMP switch querier status -------------------------------------------------------- elected querier is 10.0.254.200 (this switch querier) -------------------------------------------------------- admin state : Enabled (state inherited) admin version : 2 source IP address : 10.0.254.200 query-interval (sec) : 60 max-response-time (sec) : 10 querier-timeout (sec) : 120 tcn query count : 2 tcn query interval (sec) : 10 operational state : Querier operational version : 2 tcn query pending count : 0

muzicman0

Postby muzicman0 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 am

Got it sorted. Not sure if it was IGMP v3, or not. I had to enable PIM on the Interface VLAN, which allowed IGMP version 3 to work...at that point, all the errors went away. It's possible I didn't need IGMP v3, but it's working now, so I'll leave it alone.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 pm

The PRIME has used IGMP v3 since late last year (20170930 firmware, and possibly some betas before that).

droidlev

Postby droidlev » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi all, I am really hoping that someone can help me. I have a cisco switch, everything is vlaned properly and been up and running for a couple of years now. I finally got back around to adding my hdhomerunprime. I can ping it from all of my vlans no problem... The channels app on iOS can see it via ip, and my plex box can see it as well. However, as soon as I try to tune-in to a channel, it times out or posts an erroneous message. Reading this post it looks like I have to set up IGMP? the HDHomeRun Prime is on my Vlan20. Can someone share the proper (as best as you can) config terminal commands to get this up and running? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Also, the HDHRPrime is on one cisco switch which is trunked to another cisco switch in the house where the AppleTV is located. I'm assuming that config has to be applied to both.

This is a spouse situation, so I have to get it to work... I'm sure that you all understand. ;)

muzicman0

Postby muzicman0 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:12 pm

What Cisco switch model is it?

I had to set up some specific IGMP commands on my switch, but it still makes no sense to me. IGMP handles how multicast traffic is handled, but by default, it should have acted like a broadcast (flooding out of every port). All I can say is that once I made the changes, it worked.

If you send the switch model, i'll see if I can help.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:56 pm

Multicast (and IGMP) is used for discovery of the HDHomeRun device when using Windows Media Center or UPnP/DLNA, but is not involved in the actual video streaming process, nor in the discovery method used by Channels or Plex. The issue you're seeing is something entirely different. The most likely candidates would be a bad link somewhere (e.g. connecting at 10Mbit instead of 100 or 1000), or if you're you're running a DVR for those apps on a computer, perhaps some security software on the computer interfering.

droidlev

Postby droidlev » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:39 am

Hi all, sorry for the delayed response; and thank you for getting back to me. I have a Cisco 3850. Definitely running at 1000. I have both Plex and the "Channels" app running on a 4K AppleTV

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”