New Quatro vs old Connect channel tuning issue - PCTools

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
PCTools

New Quatro vs old Connect channel tuning issue - PCTools

Postby PCTools » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 am

I disagree, and feel this is not accurate information.

There is no signal degradation between the 2 tuner or 4 tuner unit when I did extensive testing between the units.

On a side bar note, the newer model is actually a little superior over the previous generation in terms of sensitivity.

There were issues when this was initially launched, but with some firmware updates, it has been resolved.

However, there is a "bug" with the newer models - as when using both tuners all the time, one will drop off requiring the unit to be power cycled approximately every 2 days. This will resolve the problem, but it will occur again.

I am awaiting for the next generation to be launched.
The first thing is the 4 tuner unit is at a 3 dB disadvantage because it contains a 4-way split vs. a 2-way split in the 2 tuner unit. SD may have made up for that loss in the design of the quatro. Perhaps someone from SD will chime in with receiver sensitivity specs for 4 tuner and 2 tuner units.

John-Galt

Re: New Quatro vs old Connect channel tuning issue

Postby John-Galt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm

I disagree, and feel this is not accurate information.
There is no signal degradation between the 2 tuner or 4 tuner unit when I did extensive testing between the units.
Fair enough; thanks for sharing the results of your testing.

jsmar

Postby jsmar » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:37 pm

However, there is a "bug" with the newer models - as when using both tuners all the time, one will drop off requiring the unit to be power cycled approximately every 2 days. This will resolve the problem, but it will occur again.
Has SiliconDust said anything about this problem? Can it be fixed in firmware (eventually) or is a power cycle the only fix? What about the Quattro? Does only one tuner drop out, and the others remain? Will others drop out eventually, requiring a power cycle?

PCTools

Postby PCTools » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:31 am

I have had three units that continue to require a "hard reset" every 48 hours.

I prefer the generation 4 model, as that seems more robust then the current model. Remember, there were issues at release with the tuner not being sensitive.

After several firmware updates, the sensitivity issue is resolved - however the the tuners failing is a deal breaker, or should I say becoming inactive is a problematic issue on both the 2 and 4 tuners models.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: New Quatro vs old Connect channel tuning issue - PCTools

Postby nickk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am

Hi,

We are not tracking any issues where a HDHomeRun requires restarting. You should never need to power cycle.

What specifically doesn't work when the problem occurs?

If the device isn't detecting/responding...
1) What to the LEDs on the back show?
2) If you remove the ethernet cable do you get a flashing red LED?
3) If you re-insert the ethernet cable does it go back to solid green?

Also make sure you only have one DHCP server on your network. For example if you are using a 2nd router as an Access Point be sure that DHCP is disabled, otherwise it may be handing out conflicting IP addresses and causing problems.

Nick

djk_norman

Postby djk_norman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Nick,

I appreciate seeing you help address the restart issue being discussed here. I started this thread to address an issue of VHF, channel 13, not tuning properly. I also submitted a ticket, 104959, but I have not had anyone respond to me since my October 8 response. I have sent emails to support and placed calls to support, but no responses. I followed the instructions sent to me by support as well as the ideas here, but nothing has resolved the problem. I need the issue resolved this week, or will need to return the device by Friday to receive a refund. Can someone please assist me?

Thank you,

-David.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm

I appreciate seeing you help address the restart issue being discussed here. I started this thread to address an issue of VHF, channel 13, not tuning properly. I also submitted a ticket, 104959, but I have not had anyone respond to me since my October 8 response. I have sent emails to support and placed calls to support, but no responses. I followed the instructions sent to me by support as well as the ideas here, but nothing has resolved the problem. I need the issue resolved this week, or will need to return the device by Friday to receive a refund. Can someone please assist me?
Hi David,

The thread was split - I will follow up in your thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=113&t=69818

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”