Signal loss on 4-tuner but not OTA

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ellisz

Re: Signal loss on 4-tuner but not OTA

Postby ellisz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 pm

They are probably both on the switch but I can play around with them to see if it makes a difference. I tried the Iperf3 program and got it to work on my phone but when I tried on my laptop it hung and I had to shut down the cmd prompt. I just tried to -c iperf.he.net as a test. My phone on wifi showed transfer of 1.38 Mbytes and bandwidth of 1.05 Mbits/sec. My phone running the HDHR is normally pretty good.

*** EDIT*** I had the HDHR on the 1st port on the router and the rest of my tv devices were on the switch. The shield was literally pausing and timed out. I moved the HDHR to the switch and came back up to see the Shield TV working again. Started the PC and the Fire stick with Plex live TV and it is all running good. Fingers crossed. If this is the issue, what is the cause?****/Edit***

One other note I forgot about. I am running a Disney Circle device to monitor devices on my network and to monitor my kids on wifi. Could this be an issue? I may shut it down for a few days if the other test does not work.

ellisz

Postby ellisz » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Looks like the cable swap may have solved my problems. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:48 am

*** EDIT*** I had the HDHR on the 1st port on the router and the rest of my tv devices were on the switch. The shield was literally pausing and timed out. I moved the HDHR to the switch and came back up to see the Shield TV working again. Started the PC and the Fire stick with Plex live TV and it is all running good. Fingers crossed. If this is the issue, what is the cause?****/Edit***
Routers, particularly cable company routers and consumer-grade WiFi router/switch combos, often make poor switches. (Actually, in my experience and estimation, they often make poor everything.) What you have experienced is fairly common. One of these days I may write up a "what works, what doesn't so much" thing. Plugging anything other than a capable switch into a cable/consumer-grade router will go on the "not so much" list.

I am a strong believer in "separation of duties" and not cheaping-out on my computer and network hardware. Thus my router is just a router. LAN switching is all handled by switches. WiFi is handled by a dedicated WiFi access point. None of it is common consumer-grade hardware.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”