HDHomeRun PRIME requires power cycling to work

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
AmyLase453

HDHomeRun PRIME requires power cycling to work

Postby AmyLase453 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I purchased my HDHomeRun PRIME Model: HDHR3-CC Device ID: 132679DE running Firmware: 20180817 in July of 2017. It's been working until the last few days I get errors and no video. If I unplug the power (usually a couple of times) it will start working again, for awhile.

I've gone through http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and looked at viewtopic.php?f=113&t=65715. It does work, I don't think it's a CC issue. I'm concerned it will not record my programs and obviously power cycling it every day is becoming a nuisance.

Thoughts?

comp1

Re: HDHomeRun PRIME requires power cycling to work

Postby comp1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 am

I am experiencing the same issue. It is to the point that I now need to power cycle multiple times a day. I removed all software and reinstalled, no help. I updated to the latest firmware as well.
It is very frustrating :x . I am still looking for a solution, but at this point it looks like I may need a new tuner. It seems to be a hardware issue inside the tuner. I hope someone has a solution......

AmyLase453

Postby AmyLase453 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 am

I am experiencing the same issue. It is to the point that I now need to power cycle multiple times a day. I removed all software and reinstalled, no help. I updated to the latest firmware as well.
It is very frustrating :x . I am still looking for a solution, but at this point it looks like I may need a new tuner. It seems to be a hardware issue inside the tuner. I hope someone has a solution......
This is my thought, too. Since they don't sell this unit anymore and the six tuner model isn't available yet there aren't a lot of options other than Ebay.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066), and then reproduce the issue, leaving it going for at least 10 minutes before unplugging. Reply back with the time it happened and we will check the logs.

IrishBeerBaron

Postby IrishBeerBaron » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:56 pm

Seeing the same thing here. Seems like essentially as soon as I trigger a scan, ( it says initializing ), then the Prime powers itself off.

I have enabled diagnostic information to be sent to Silicondust support. Should be there @ 7:52PM ( ran the test a couple times )

Had worked for years until I recently updated the firmware.

Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 1317F02B
Firmware: 20180817

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Seeing the same thing here. Seems like essentially as soon as I trigger a scan, ( it says initializing ), then the Prime powers itself off.
Try a replacement power supply (scans are resource intensive, and may require more power than is reliably available from a power supply going bad). You may find for testing purposes you can find some other devices power supply in your residence that is compatible with the specs at: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19204 and if that solves your problems, you can order a replacement direct from the SD store (or source locally if you wish),

IrishBeerBaron

Postby IrishBeerBaron » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 am

Thank you gtb! That was it! Looks to be back to normal.
Try a replacement power supply (scans are resource intensive, and may require more power than is reliably available from a power supply going bad). You may find for testing purposes you can find some other devices power supply in your residence that is compatible with the specs at: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19204 and if that solves your problems, you can order a replacement direct from the SD store (or source locally if you wish),

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 am

Thank you gtb! That was it! Looks to be back to normal.
If it now works, great(*). FWIW, the hints that I picked up on were "once you start a scan" (which is known to be resource intensive), and "years of use" (which tends to increase the odds the power supply has gone bad).

There are ways to test the PS, but they require placing the PS under appropriate load, and have meters that can measure ripple (i.e. not things that most people are capable of doing), so it is usually easiest to just try a replacement as the first step (although the replacement could also be bad, so you can get a false negative).

(*) I will never claim the devices do not fail (everything fails eventually). But the HDHR devices are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going. The design of most consumer power bricks/dongles/supplies, on the other hand, have components (usually the caps) that tend to have a operational lifespan that is not quite as robust due to the usual compromises (price vs longevity), as it is typically expected that the consumer device they are powering will be thrown out in 3-4 years, so why spend more money?

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”