Xiaomi Mibox $49 at Walmart

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
clarkss12

Xiaomi Mibox $49 at Walmart

Postby clarkss12 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:27 am

Just received an email from Brickseek about the Xiaomi Mibox.

Store Info Inventory Info
Walmart Supercenter
XXX Highland Rd
XXXXXXX, MI XXXXXX
(XXX) XXXXXXX *Quantity Changed From 8 to 3
*Price Changed From 64 to 49
Availability Still: In Stock

Use this stock number...... SKU: 54827138

clarkss12

Re: Xiaomi Mibox $49 at Walmart

Postby clarkss12 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:02 am

It is quite possible, they are getting rid of the existing stock, so they can stock the new updated version.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-m ... -mi-box-s/

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 pm

yes I think so, Preorder now for 19th delivery of Mi box S $59 https://9to5google.com/2018/10/09/xiaom ... re-orders/ Slightly better 4K it seems via spec, oreo based. Like it's predecessor 2.0 USB and probably will not get a OS update in the future as that has not gone well for them in the past model. Remote gets a Netflix and Live TV buttons. Other than that it is the base price people are looking for...

clarkss12

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 pm

yes I think so, Preorder now for 19th delivery of Mi box S $59 https://9to5google.com/2018/10/09/xiaom ... re-orders/ Slightly better 4K it seems via spec, oreo based. Like it's predecessor 2.0 USB and probably will not get a OS update in the future as that has not gone well for them in the past model. Remote gets a Netflix and Live TV buttons. Other than that it is the base price people are looking for...
Thanks, Mediaman. From what I can determine, it uses an Amlogic S905L and the prior Xiaomi Mibox used an Amlogic S905x. The "L" seems to lack some of the video codec decoding that the "X" supports, in other words, a slimmed down SoC.

However, thanks for the pre-order link, I could not resist and ordered one. As, is the existing Xiaomi Mibox, I don't think it includes an Ethernet port. To arrive Saturday November 3, via USPS.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

..., oreo based. Like it's predecessor 2.0 USB and probably will not get a OS update in the future as that has not gone well for them in the past model.
The last update was so bad that the more technically savvy have posted detailed instructions on how to go back a revision. I would guess the "new" box will probably have all the same brokenness. (Find any one of the threads at https://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/xiao ... ector.116/ to find out just how bad things are.)

I've actually force-stopped and disabled Google Play Services so the thing doesn't update to the latest broken update on our MiBoxes. (And am regretting my decision to keep the 2nd one I bought. Should have heeded my impulse to return it to Walmart when I could have.)
Other than that it is the base price people are looking for...
And they'll get what they're paying for. I have much higher confidence in Amazon's newer fire stick.

Personally: I wouldn't have another Xiaomi product on a bet.

boukmandutty

Postby boukmandutty » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Can any current Mibox user give me some insight?

I notice some frame drops or maybe micro stutters that are particularly pronounced on sports channels like MLB (Major League Baseball). It shows up more clearly in channels like this and CNN that usually have some ticker with news going across the bottom of the screen. The same channels are as smooth as butter using Windows Media Center on the same wifi network. I have also tried using a usb ethernet connection and the effect is the same.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 am

I notice some frame drops or maybe micro stutters ...
One of the many, many problems with MiBox 3's since the Oreo update. The xiaomi.eu forum used to have a compiled list of all the bugs, but that appears to be gone. It's looking like that "independent" forum is cooperating with Xiaomi in trying to bury the MDZ-16-xx debacle in the release of the new MDZ-22-xx line.

IOW: What you have is probably as good as it's ever going to be.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 am

I notice some frame drops or maybe micro stutters that are particularly pronounced on sports channels like MLB (Major League Baseball). It shows up more clearly in channels like this and CNN that usually have some ticker with news going across the bottom of the screen. The same channels are as smooth as butter using Windows Media Center on the same wifi network. I have also tried using a usb ethernet connection and the effect is the same.
boukmandutty - better to start a new thread and identify your specific model mi box, OS and SD tuner model. Add channel id where studder and your general area. fyi- subscribe to your own thread for notices of posts.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”