TECH4-8US can't find its own channel list

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
w9wi

TECH4-8US can't find its own channel list

Postby w9wi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:46 pm

We've got a TECH4-8US in service for several years. One of the client computers was replaced -- and I can't get QuickTV to work.

When I install the drivers, Setup, and QuickTV, it prompts for a channel scan. All four dual tuners find all the channels they should. However, when I run QuickTV... I get four instances of tuners found, all four of which say "no channels / scan required".

If I re-run Setup and click on a channel link, it opens VLC and plays the channel I clicked on. That would be a viable option, except running Setup requires administrative permission. I can't give the users admin accounts.

If I had to guess I'd say Setup is saving the channel scan data somewhere that's only accessible to the user who did the scan -- my admin account -- and ordinary users can't read the scan info. But that's a guess.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert

Re: TECH4-8US can't find its own channel list

Postby signcarver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:51 pm

QuickTV hasn't been supported for about 5 years (was replaced by VIEW, then by the HDHomeRun App - though on win 7 that was "simply" a name change between VIEW and HDHomeRun) but your notices and error messages sounded more like an older model with modern software (but you are stating the reverse).

VIEW/HDHomeRun requires the scan on the device and I believe the 4th Gen TECHs do support such (my understanding 3rd gen does not).

ebo

Postby ebo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:16 am

I'm using legacy software including QuickTV with my 2 2nd-gen Duals and an HDHR4-2US. The channel list is saved in "C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Antenna.xml" (I also see it in "C:\Users\All Users\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\Digital Antenna.xml", clearly 2 references to the same file, not 2 copies of it). If you have an old enough version of the software you might be able to create the file with it. I'm running 20150826. I don't know if the current software removes the xml file or references to it. If you have a legacy tuner, the current software might create the xml file for it; I understand that the latest firmware for the Dual adds as much of the modern method as the Dual can handle but I don't know how that works.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Are you using multicast from the TECH or just letting each user randomly get a tuner and watch? If you're using multicast you probably have a .qtv file that would be used. If you're not using multicast, try copying the Digital Cable.xml or Digital Antenna.xml from one of the working PCs over to the new one, in the location ebo mentioned.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”