HDHR Dual Dying?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mikewazooski

HDHR Dual Dying?

Postby mikewazooski » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:09 am

I've had this old boy for a very long time. He and I go way back. Lately I get a ton of artifacting and pixelation when recording or viewing live TV. It seemed to have started at the same time as the new premium service so I am wondering if this could have anything to do with it. Just looking for a way to keep this guy running. Call me sentimental if you must. Every HTPC or media center at every place I've lived this box just worked. Day in, Day out it did everything it was supposed to. There aren't many things I can say that about any longer.

I know this is a legacy product and not really supported and I'm not asking for a repair or upgrade. I've more than gotten my money's worth on this device. I was just hoping somebody knew of a fix or workaround. It has the latest firmware 20170930 and has been running it since late last year so the firmware isn't responsible here.

So SD, any hints, prayers, incantations or potions I can use to save my baby?

signcarver
Expert

Re: HDHR Dual Dying?

Postby signcarver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 pm

If it is not a signal issue, most likely power supply... First symptom of power supply failure is usually one tuner having worse performance than the other (and/or an issue when both are in use). Next it usually affects all tuners.

Premium TV has noting to do with the old duals

mikewazooski

Postby mikewazooski » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Ok, I'll buy that for a dollar. Where can I get a new power supply for this guy? I've checked the SD website and nothing is listed as supporting the Dual HDHR3-US.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Either the Gen 3 Prime or Gen 4 Connect power supply would work (NOT extend which is 12V, and not 5th gen which uses a smaller connector). If it was older than a 3rd gen I would probably go with the one meant for the prime just to be sure you didn't need a 2A one.

Chances are you may already have one around to test with from some other device (like a switch or router). Just make sure it is 5V (only) and 1A or greater and I would double/triple check polarity and voltage if you supply your own. Also if you use your own, many aren't within the noise spec and may seem to work and go out quickly so I generally suggest replacing.

see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19204 for specs.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”