Rudimentary setup and channel scan

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
travillion

Rudimentary setup and channel scan

Postby travillion » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Hello,

I am moving soon and will be installing a new OTA antenna on the exterior of my house. I want to get it setup ASAP so I minimize missed recordings. I anticipate testing the antenna location before the TV is unpacked and wall-mounted, for unnamed but practical reasons. So my question is this....

I need a way to test antenna reception without performing the traditional TV channel scan. Can my HDHomeRun could help me out with this, because it does a channel scan and can provide signal strength metrics. My main PC might not be installed, and my internet might not be up and running depending on when the installers can come out. Can I plug the HDHR ethernet directly into a laptop and perform the channel scan, signal strength, etc. just using the wired connection between tuner and laptop, without internet? (Obviously the antenna will be attached to the HDHR....) The HDHR doesn't actually need an internet connection, does it?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Rudimentary setup and channel scan

Postby jasonl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

You can use the hdhomerun_config_gui software to check signal levels. On Windows, it's in c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun. On Mac, go into Applications and control+click on the HDHomeRun app and select Show package contents and you'll see it in there. Set the channel to the RF channel number the station you want to check broadcasts on (may not be the same as the number you think of them as).

You can directly connect the HDHomeRun to the PC without internet. Depending on the system, it make take a minute of being connected before the HDHomeRun will be seen.

travillion

Re: Rudimentary setup and channel scan

Postby travillion » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Excellent, thank you, I'll give that a try!

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”