OTA Signal Measurements

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: OTA Signal Measurements

Postby jasonl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:12 pm

I am coming back to my HDHomerun to test the new premium tv on a HDHR Connect. I have used my 4 other tuners (Original and Primes) for years but recently switched to PS Vue and Youtube TV. I updated my Connect to the latest FW and checked the orientation of my Channel Master 8 bay that i have used for years and scanned my channels. I can pull in around 70 channels except for Channel 5 KPHO, Channel 12 KPNX and Channel 11. I dont watch 11, but i noticed it wasnt in the listing either.

All of the transmitters are on the same mountain in basically a line (according to TV fool). I have tried with and without an amp. I have replaced cabling. I have purchased a couple of indoor antennas that were recommended (Mohu / Clearstream) to compare. My outside antenna is about 15' up and i have pulled in these channels before without too much trouble. I have sat with the signal meter and tried to pull in 5 and 12 by repointing the antenna to see if there was any sign of them, but nothing.

KTVK CW 3 18 530 Mhz UHF -- Fine
KPHO CBS 5 18 488 Mhz UHF -- No sign of station
KAET PBS 8 18 180 Mhz VHF-Hi -- Fine
KSAZ FOX 10 18 192 Mhz VHF-Hi -- Fine
KTAZ TELEMUNDO 11 18 560 Mhz UHF -- No Sign of station
KPNX NBC 12 18 S 204 Mhz VHF-Hi -- No sign of station
KNXV ABC 15 18 476 Mhz UHF -- Fine

Not quite sure what tree i should be barking up at this point. The antenna seems fine, almost picked up another tuner to see if that was the issue, whether mine is faulty or the new FW is causing it. I may rummage around for my old original HDHR and see if those stations come in. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Unless you can see the towers from your window, you're going to have trouble with KPHO, KPAZ, KTAZ, and KPPX from 9am-4:30pm M-F and 7am-5pm weekends until the KTAZ work is done (scheduled to be done by 12/31), minus whatever days they schedule off, which are subject to change if weather interferes.

KASW will also have some work coming up to replace their equipment, and that will affect them, KTVK, KNXV, KTVW, and a bunch of radio stations. Their work should be less involved than KTAZ's but will still involve power reductions at various times, so expect some troubles during the day and perhaps also overnight.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”