Asustor AS6404T

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mmf27

Asustor AS6404T

Postby mmf27 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi

I have the Connect Quattro.

I’m llanning to buy a NAS (Asustor AS6404T).

https://www.asustor.com/product?id=53

Is there an HDHOMERUN app for the Asustor OS?

Can I also use Plex on the Asustor to connect to the Quattro?

Thank you.

Mitch

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Asustor AS6404T

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Yes, the HDHomeRun DVR will run on that NAS, although there is no install package for it.

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes, the HDHomeRun DVR will run on that NAS, although there is no install package for it.
Hi Jason

I’m a newbie to NAS.

I thought there needed to be an App to install on NAS.

With no install package, how do I install?

Thanks

Mitch

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Most probably use the windows setup program (choose to run DVR on a NAS, double click your nas on the popup - but to show up as a choice the nas must be configured for upnp discovery, for most this is done by enabling a dlna capable server) but I suggest to always do a manual install on a NAS.

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:37 am

Most probably use the windows setup program (choose to run DVR on a NAS, double click your nas on the popup - but to show up as a choice the nas must be configured for upnp discovery, for most this is done by enabling a dlna capable server) but I suggest to always do a manual install on a NAS.
To be clear, what I want to do is run the HDHomeRun client from the NAS, as opposed to run the client on a windows computer and point to the NAS as the storage location for HDHomeRun streams.

Is your above answer assuming I’m wantjng to run HDHomeRun on the NAS itself?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 am

Rereading your original post, i think there is some confusion here. Most asking about a NAS are asking about the DVR which probably 99% of all NAS's are capable (notable exception is my cloud HOME which runs on a headless version of android rather than linux).

It appears you are asking about a client (which 99% of (devices sold as) nas's would not be capable of as they have no way of connecting to a display).

Traditionally kodi has been the app one uses on such NAS, but i thought i read something about asustor pulling kodi from its apps.

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Jason

Could you please review the subsequent questions and answers and provide the SiliconDust response?

To clarify, I’m purchasing an Asustor AS6404T and will connect it to a TV via HDMI. I want to use the Asustor handheld remote control to control the HDHomeRun client installed directly on the Asustor.

I’d also like to use the Plex client installed on the Asustor to connect to my HDHomeRun Quattro, again from the TV connected to the Asustor via HDMI (and controlled via the handheld Asustor remote).

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Sorry for getting back to this late, we fell way behind from the holiday and I'm just now getting back here. I am not aware of any NAS that is supported as a client for the DVR. Some may be able to run Kodi with the HDHomeRun add-on, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone report about using it so no guarantees.

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:40 am

Sorry for getting back to this late, we fell way behind from the holiday and I'm just now getting back here. I am not aware of any NAS that is supported as a client for the DVR. Some may be able to run Kodi with the HDHomeRun add-on, but I can't say I've ever seen anyone report about using it so no guarantees.
Merry Christmas @jasonl

OK, so your reply came a couple of days AFTER I purchased the Asustor AS6404T, and I've now also purchased the HDHR PVR subscription!

I've almost got it all working by following the below instructions...

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=30386

... I am able to use the HDHR PVR to the NAS with a MANUAL start, BUT whenever I restart the NAS I subsequently LOSE the HDHR PVR ability!

I've tried the below instructions within the HDHomeRun folder (from the above thread) but it must not be correct because SCP advises that the host has not responded and then SCP simply times out.

Please, can you provide some advice to help me get HDHR running as a service on the Asustor?

I presume the other packages SiliconDust make available (eg. QNap & Synology) run as a service so the users don't need to reexecute code to manually restart "HDHomeRun Record"?

I'm not a developer, but with clear instructions specific to my NAS I'm hoping I can finally get to use the fantastic HDHR DVR!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Mitch

+++
Sorry for reviving the necrothread but hopefully this will help someone who stumbles upon it like me -

You would want to create a systemd.service unit file to have systemd run the record executable as a service in the background and start at boot. It's pretty easy to use:
CODE: SELECT ALL

# systemctl enable hdhomerun-record.service
+++

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:52 am

Merry Christmas @jasonl

OK, so your reply came a couple of days AFTER I purchased the Asustor AS6404T, and I've now also purchased the HDHR PVR subscription!

... I am able to use the HDHR PVR to the NAS with a MANUAL start, BUT whenever I restart the NAS I subsequently LOSE the HDHR PVR ability!

I've tried the below instructions within the HDHomeRun folder (from the above thread) but it must not be correct because SCP advises that the host has not responded and then SCP simply times out.

Please, can you provide some advice to help me get HDHR running as a service on the Asustor?

I presume the other packages SiliconDust make available (eg. QNap & Synology) run as a service so the users don't need to reexecute code to manually restart "HDHomeRun Record"?

I'm not a developer, but with clear instructions specific to my NAS I'm hoping I can finally get to use the fantastic HDHR DVR!

Cheers,

Mitch

+++
Sorry for reviving the necrothread but hopefully this will help someone who stumbles upon it like me -

You would want to create a systemd.service unit file to have systemd run the record executable as a service in the background and start at boot. It's pretty easy to use:

+++
Hi @mmf27
Both the qnap and synology packages are developed by me.
It's a little more than simply creating a systemd script to truly create a package. but systemd script would definitely help you as the Asustor NAS supports that method as well as they have an interpreter engine they use to do similar and integrate everything in.

I bought myself an AS4003T a few months back, and was planning to get around to do a package for it.
I have initial structure in place, just a few things to iron out before I'm happy with it and release with the other 2.
Also - been really busy at work lately (new role, lots of pressure) so was slower than hoped - but with xmas hols now, hoping to get some time to finish this off.

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your effort.

I look forward to a solution so that HDHR will continue to record to the Asustor NAS (mine is AS6404T) even after a restart!

Though not a developer, I'm happy to give you my feedback after following your instructions :-)

Kind regards,

Mitch

mmf27

Postby mmf27 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:32 am

Merry Christmas @jasonl

Cheers,

Mitch

+++

+++
Hi @mmf27
Both the qnap and synology packages are developed by me.
It's a little more than simply creating a systemd script to truly create a package. but systemd script would definitely help you as the Asustor NAS supports that method as well as they have an interpreter engine they use to do similar and integrate everything in.

I bought myself an AS4003T a few months back, and was planning to get around to do a package for it.
I have initial structure in place, just a few things to iron out before I'm happy with it and release with the other 2.
Also - been really busy at work lately (new role, lots of pressure) so was slower than hoped - but with xmas hols now, hoping to get some time to finish this off.
Happy New Year @jasonl

Did you get a chance yet to look at the Asustor NAS package so the HD HomeRun recorder runs as a service (ie. persists even after a restart of the NAS)?

Kind regards,

Mitch

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”