Channel issue - Bubbster

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Bubbster

Re: Channel issue - Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan (see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=69066) then watch live TV on the problem channel for 10 minutes. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.
OK, done, waited until the Gordon remains passed thru so the OTA signals were typical.

Device ID: 104D33A2
Started at 17:17 EDT on Sunday 9/9/18
Affected channel tuned in on WMC is Dayton 2.1, the real frequency is 50.

Anything else needed let me know.

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 pm

One small reception blip about 17:42 but otherwise it came in completely clean and there was no packet loss. Does the system have an NVIDIA GPU in it? What appears to be happening is that NVIDIA's decoders don't like something about the way the video is encoded, but no other decoders have an issue. The last update we got from NVIDIA was that they confirmed the problem and believe it to be something they are already aware of, and are passing it to their engineering people for further analysis. My own guess is that this is something that will probably be fixed in a future driver update for Windows and system update for the Shield TV. Can't even begin to guess on the timeframe though.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes, nvidia, but it shows in recordings. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

[edit] Win7 Media Center I should mention.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Yes, nvidia, but it shows in recordings. Doesn't that strike you as odd?

[edit] Win7 Media Center I should mention.
I should have also mentioned the pixelation is exactly the same timing and look as live tv. I can dump from my other desktop in the same room from VLC to a .ts and see similar results.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:56 pm

No, that doesn't strike me as odd. A recording is just taking the same data and writing it to disk, then playing it back later. That same data is getting pushed to the GPU to decode either way. It would be more odd if it didn't happen on recordings.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm

No, that doesn't strike me as odd. A recording is just taking the same data and writing it to disk, then playing it back later. That same data is getting pushed to the GPU to decode either way. It would be more odd if it didn't happen on recordings.
Ahh, OK, thanks, I assumed the recording was the raw stream coming from the tuner and had nothing to do with the PC video system, Unlike the TV tuner which renders it perfectly using it's own tuner.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Silly question, can you guys post in this forum when it appears Nvidia releases fixed drivers for this issue? I never update the drivers on my HTPC unless completely necessary. They are current because of this issue, but, I'm hesitant to update every few weeks when they release new drivers, on that HTPC box anyhow.

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Bubbster

Postby Bubbster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:02 am

Has there been any progress with this issue?

I'm not happy I've missed most of an entire football season of games on WDTN in Dayton. Is this specific to HDHR tuners? Would a different tuner brand exhibit the same issues paired with an Nvidia vidcard on a HTPC? Is there a Nvidia driver fix in the works? Or a SD firmware fix if possible?

Disappointed as hell.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”