Output files are occasionally truncated, or video gets zoomed in

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
EquinoxV

Output files are occasionally truncated, or video gets zoomed in

Postby EquinoxV » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi all,

I have two problems and I'm not sure if they are hardware or software (sorry if I used the wrong forum). I'm using an Extend with Plex, but I don't think the problems are due to Plex or any of the players I'm using because the issues are visible in the output files if I play them on a computer using VLC or other players. My issues are:

1. Recordings are sometimes truncated. Players all see the files as the intended program length, but at a certain point, the file will stop playing (both video and audio).
2. Recordings are sometimes zoomed in. This is particularly strange. The video will play normally for a certain period of time, and then suddenly you can only see part of the intended image and it's much larger than normal. It will play this way sometimes for the rest of the file, or in one case it reverted back to normal after ~30 minutes.

In some cases these problems both occur on the same recording. In many cases, recordings are fine (neither problem occurs). I think the problem may have started after Windows updated to 1803, but I'm not certain of that.

Anyone have any ideas of what I should check? Thanks in advance...

Mediaman
Expert

Re: Output files are occasionally truncated, or video gets zoomed in

Postby Mediaman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Are you using the Plex recording system or HDHomerun DVR? If Plex then I would be more inclined to think it is a Plex issue. You might be abel to try recording something using plex and use live viewing via HDHR app and see if recording has issues. Flipping between zoom and no zoom might be happen during commercials which are 4:3 and then not returning to 16:9 after they end? Are you doing any post recording editing before watching the recording?

Don't think this will reveal anything but check the system logs of the tuner to see if any messages are negative around the end of the recordings that are cut off early.

If your using HDHR DVR then enable send diagnostics for the tuner [lasts 10 days before turning off]. When you have an issue open a ticket with SD and explain the issue, time and tuner id and they can check logs for any issues they may see.

EquinoxV

Re: Output files are occasionally truncated, or video gets zoomed in

Postby EquinoxV » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks Mediaman. I checked the HDHR system log and found the following related to one of the truncated recordings:
20180626-00:52:43 Tuner: tuner1 tuning 4.1 KDFW-DT (8vsb:599MHz-3)
20180626-00:52:43 Tuner: tuner1 streaming http to 192.168.1.13:60422
20180626-01:00:01 Tuner: tuner1 http stream ended (remote closed)
So if this is accurate, the reason the session ended was it was terminated by my server. I am using Plex to manage the recordings, so based on this it sounds like you're right and it's a Plex issue. I'm looking through Plex logs now and will post on their forum if needed. Thanks again.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”