Question about HDHomeRun Connect vs Extend

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jrbilodeau

Question about HDHomeRun Connect vs Extend

Postby jrbilodeau » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi,

I currently have an HDHomeRun Dual, and am looking to upgrade to either the HDHomeRun Connect or Extend, but I have some questions. I'm planning on using it with Kodi and Plex and understand that their are native PVR/DVR plugins for these 2 apps. I also have a QNAP TS-469L NAS that i'd use as the repository to record shows to, and this is also where my plex media server is installed. Besides that I also have a ROKU stick with Plex on it.

So with regards to my questions is what are the benefits of the Connect vs the Extend. Is it simply that the Extend does on the fly transcoding of the stream to MP4? if that's the case, what is the real world experience of the two devices like? Some of my kodi/plex clients are physically cabled to the network, where as other plex clients like the roku, android tablet or iphone would be using wifi. I'm also curious as to what the experience is like streaming live tv through plex over the internet.... for example if I was at work or at a friends house, how well could i expect this to work?

When using the HDHomeRun Extend does it record to MP4 or is there a setting to enable/disable transcoding?

Thanks

jrbilodeau

Re: Question about HDHomeRun Connect vs Extend

Postby jrbilodeau » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:28 am

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences using either the Connect or Extend with plex or Kodi?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 am

Most people I know who have got the extend wish they would have got 2 connects instead for about the same price or less (and the quatro is a newer option) as they end up seldom using any transcoding particularly when SD's software (as well as most other software) only uses the default profile (the old android app prior to dvr allowed one to choose transcoding level, also it can advertise formats for most dlna devices to (auto) choose from). I also personally find that for OTA because of varying signal having default transcode "on" often produces worst behavior for marginal signals and personally usually only recommend the device for clear qam where the signals between channels are more uniform.

I don't want to sound like I'm negative about the extend as it does have its purposes but I feel if someone needs to ask they should really have a grasp on why they need the built in transcoding rather than another device to handle such (the nas you mentioned wouldn't do video transcoding well for plex but can do the audio which may make the extend attractive to do the video).

jrbilodeau

Postby jrbilodeau » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that's kind of what i was thinking...because the NAS doesn't necesarily have the strongest CPU for transcoding, it might be perferable to have the HDHomeRun Extend handle transcoding the video to offload it from the nas. This way streams and recorded shows had smaller file sizes which could be helpful when streaming to devices on wifi such as the roku, or tablet, but the Connect Quatro also looked quite attactive as an option and cost less than the extend so i'm trying to figure out which one to get.

thanks

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”