Feature request: CI or CI+ slots for EU DVB-C HDHomeRun

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
matp

Feature request: CI or CI+ slots for EU DVB-C HDHomeRun

Postby matp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:35 am

I have a HDHR3-4DC here in Germany. It works great for DVB-C except that most HD channels require a CI or CI+ module with a corresponding cable card from the cable company.

I know there is cable card support in the US but that the smart cards are different on some level.

I believe with the CI/CI+ modules that they can only tune/decrypt a single channel at a time and having a unit with 4 CI/CI+ slots is probably not very practical, however having a unit that has 2 CI slots and 2 tuners would be preferable to 4 tuners that can't tune most channels.

I believe supporting CI/CI+ slots would be more universal for the EU market than supporting specific cable providers/cards. Is there some reason I am missing that prevents SD from releasing an HDHR with CI/CI+ slots (e.g. licensing fees or significant engineering incompatibilities with the existing hardware design)?

Just wanted to let you know that I would be a customer for such a hardware device if you were to release it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Feature request: CI or CI+ slots for EU DVB-C HDHomeRun

Postby jasonl » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Supporting CI+ is a bigger engineering challenge than CableCARD is in the US. CI+ requires the full protected path/DRM support that is present in CableCARD, but has the added challenge of having no existing DVR applications that support it. WMC on Windows 7 has native CableCARD support, but does not have native support for tuners using CI+. It does have a generic interface for protected content, but it's kind of pointless to add new functionality to WMC when Windows 7 has so little life remaining (2 years minus 1 day). So, this is all to say that CI+ is something that can't can't even be considered until DRM is up and working on the HDHomeRun DVR and more of the apps, which we're working on.

matp

Re: Feature request: CI or CI+ slots for EU DVB-C HDHomeRun

Postby matp » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks for the succinct explanation. That makes sense.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”