HTPC or android based/google tv

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jwrezz

HTPC or android based/google tv

Postby jwrezz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:19 pm

My HTPC bit the dust. I'm currently using an old Linux laptop I had lying around with Kodi to watch TV in our main TV room. It's working, but not well. All my DVR stuff is handled by the QNAP box. So should I build, or buy one of those small PC's like the Intel NUC, Zotac, or Minix? Or should I go the route of one of those Chromebox or Chromebit devices? I don't need a PC necessarily, but will the Chrome OS things work for setting up recordings as well as viewing my HDHR live TV? Oh, and it also needs to be able to do DRM channels. My PC finally became able to view and record HBO and SHO. Im now spoiled and need this. Is there an android/GoogleTV way for this? A MacMini is my current desktop machine, but it's getting long in the tooth, and I just don't think it's suitable to move it to replace my HTPC. I'm not spending any more money on Apple computers as it's just not worth it. So, Windows based or Chrome based, what's your collective advice? Thanx!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HTPC or android based/google tv

Postby jasonl » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm

DRM channels are currently available on Windows 10 and Xbox One. Android support is still in development. Chromebooks have some weird network behavior when running Android apps that can lead to difficulties in using the HDHomeRun at all, so it's not recommended, DRM or not.

seatv

Postby seatv » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm

[Removed by author]

jwrezz

Postby jwrezz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks! So me and the son will be assembling a barebones mini system. So many on amazon, I just got to make the choices! Thanks again, and happy 2018 to all!

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

If you want to record DRM channels and not just view them live, you need Windows 7/8/8.1 with Windows Media Center. Silicon Dust's software cannot record DRM content, only view it live.

jwrezz

Postby jwrezz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:41 pm

If you want to record DRM channels and not just view them live, you need Windows 7/8/8.1 with Windows Media Center. Silicon Dust's software cannot record DRM content, only view it live.
Yeah, view it. I swear I was able to record it once. I had the old Hulk movie recorded from HBO. I could only view it for like a week, and couldn't FF or RW

seatv

Postby seatv » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:42 pm

When I had a another tuner hardware that you could activate with Comcast, Windows MediaCenter would let you record, and playback on the same machine.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm

When I had a another tuner hardware that you could activate with Comcast, Windows MediaCenter would let you record, and playback on the same machine.
Windows Media Center still does allow for viewing live TV, recording live TV, and playback of recorded live TV, all with DRM. It's SiliconDust's own software that cannot record DRM content; and playback of live TV with DRM is only supported on Windows with SD's software.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”