Feature Request: Minimum Acceptable Signal Quality / Signal Strength / Symbol Quality for Channel Scan

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
kianrafiee

Feature Request: Minimum Acceptable Signal Quality / Signal Strength / Symbol Quality for Channel Scan

Postby kianrafiee » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:01 pm

So while setting up the best place for my antenna, I had to resort to using an area that is not ideal in which I had to run a lot of ethernet cable to reach the router. The area I really wanted to use, right next to my router in the bedroom window, would not pick up a lot of desired stations such as ABC, CW, FOX.

When I setup the antenna in the area I really didn't want to, I got all the stations I wanted including ABC, CW, and FOX but ofcourse I hated having all this stuff in awkward positions in the living room.

However, I decided to see what would happen if I put the antenna back in the bedroom next to the router BUT NOT perform a rescan of channels. Lo and behold I still got great picture on ABC, CW, and FOX that has been going strong for a few days now!

Upon further research, I learned from a post on reddit that the HDHomeRun software only adds a channel if it meets the minimum requirement of 80% Signal Quality.

I believe this is not right, and there should be an OPTIONAL feature for power users to adjust the minimal acceptable Signal Quality level along with Symbol Quality and Signal Strength if that's needed as well.

This way, I wouldn't have to "hack" my setup to work where I want it to. And it's an optional feature that can be turned on and off in the administration area of the web gui so that less advanced users don't screw it up. And it can have a "Reset to Defaults" button to play it safe.

So can you guys please add this feature to the next firmware update for the HDHomeRun tuners, including my HDHomeRun Extend?

Thank you.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Feature Request: Minimum Acceptable Signal Quality / Signal Strength / Symbol Quality for Channel Scan

Postby jasonl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Upon further research, I learned from a post on reddit that the HDHomeRun software only adds a channel if it meets the minimum requirement of 80% Signal Quality.
This is completely wrong. The HDHomeRun channel scan will add any channels that it is capable of identifying. There are no thresholds for signal quality beyond what is needed to actually receive the channel.

kianrafiee

Re: Feature Request: Minimum Acceptable Signal Quality / Signal Strength / Symbol Quality for Channel Scan

Postby kianrafiee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am

beyond what is needed to actually receive the channel.
Ok then this setting must be too high right now. Because then why would channels I can receive in a scan when in the living room not show up in a scan in the bedroom yet I can still receive those channels in the bedroom without doing a rescan?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm

I would need to see diagnostic data to determine why channels aren't being found in the scans.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Windows software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. With the HDHomeRun in the bedroom, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna tab
  4. Move the HDHomeRun to the living room and then repeat the scan
  5. Click OK
If you are using a Mac:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest HDHomeRun Mac software from https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/
  2. Open Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10
  3. With the HDHomeRun in the bedroom, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun's web page
  4. Move the HDHomeRun to the living room and repeat the scan
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

kianrafiee

Postby kianrafiee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Seems you were right. I must have not had it in the right area on the window when I did the channel scan that time. Now when I do a channel scan it does pickup those stations. Although reception here isnt that great(condo) so I had to resort to using two antennas with a splitter to combine signals. And I am using the living room anyways but decided its for the best to avoid HOA complaints and also it can hide better behind the couches than in the bedroom. Only channel I can't get now is PBS HD and I am ok with that, but I may try getting a third cheap antenna like a mohu leaf metro just for PBS. This issue is now resolved!

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”