Help me decide which model for an All Fire TV house?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mesostinky

Help me decide which model for an All Fire TV house?

Postby mesostinky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Can someone please help me decide to get either Connect Duo or Extend Duo?

House is all Fire TVs and have good reception with a basic antennae.
Fire TV gen 2 55" tv Main tv used daily. Hard wired
Fire TV gen 1 40" tv used few times a week. Wireless solid 802.11ac can get Hard Wired if essential
Fire TV Stick gen 2 40" tv Bedroom used daily. Wireless solid 802.11ac can get Hard Wired if essential

Have Plex on all devices with Plexpass so can use its Live TV DVR option
Have Kodi on all devices so can use the HDHomeurn addon
Have the regular HDHomerun Fire TV app could use that also

Essentially my confusion comes over picture quality and reliability. I keep seeing posts about Interlaced video and stuttering issues. Note that we heavily utilize Prime Video and also buying 3 Nvidia Shields isn't possible. So I hope that's enough info to point me in the right direction I just don't know A) which HDHomerun will have the best picture quality maybe with Interlaced fixes? and B) will be the most reliable for every single day use. Thanks in advance!

mesostinky

Re: Help me decide which model for an All Fire TV house?

Postby mesostinky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Bump.

Any thoughts re: which device/Software setup will have the best results?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 pm

It's too subjective to give a real definitive answer... some may never even notice any problems with interlaced video though it is "always" present for some others. In my house it is more which TV the (client/fire tv) device is hooked up to as to whether or not it is acceptable.

In theory the extend can transcode so may be the better choice but most I know, but I stress not all, who bought the extend wish they would have just bought 2 regular tuners for roughly the same price (and now a quatro may make more sense) as they seldom use the built in transcoding options (and in their opinion to be "acceptable" without issues on the firetv devices (particularly if not wired and the latest "official" wired dongle seems to have too much overhead for any improvement of live tv) reduces quality too much, other opinions will vary).

Keep in mind that the normal software uses the default transcoding value of the extend so it isn't just the interlaced channels that also get transcoded/compressed. The ones I personally know that have an extend and love it use it with the "old" green app where one can specify/change the transcode setting it uses. But you may take comfort in knowing the extend should not be any worse (provided signals are acceptable) when set not to transcode as the stream should be identical.

chuckles67

Postby chuckles67 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Just my opinion: the jagged artifacts with interlaced video on Firestick (Gen2) with HDHomeRun app was too annoying for me to live with (PBS channel 9.1 1080i tested from a Connect Duo HDHR4-2US). Channels app on Apple TV (Gen4) does not have the same visual problem with interlaced video.

mesostinky

Postby mesostinky » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:46 pm

Thank you both for responding I appreciate the feedback. I did btw come across a random post from Oct where a dev said they were looking into it but nothing since.

Ended up ordering the Connect Duo and will just see how it goes. I hope Silcondust just updates the Extend firmware to allow a 720p high bitrate profile. If they aren't going to offer Deinterlacing on 1080i video then adding that 720P profile would be incredibly easy for them to implement and would resolve the issue for most people.

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”