HDHR5 models?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5 models?

Postby nickk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm

your official distributor in canada "Synnex"
has the hrhr5-4 and hdhr5-2 listed
but has been failing to fulfil orders since the day it became available in early October

they say its because silicondust is not sending them
can you comment or correct them / assist in getting this corrected
We have just set up up Synnex in Canada... they will be shipping stock some time in December.

Nick

manorfan

Postby manorfan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:07 pm

May I inquire why the LEDs were removed? Cost? I found them very useful for checking when I was recording or how may tuners were in use at a glance.

Thanks,

Bobby

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 pm

We wanted to go for a simpler, clean look. For every one of us techie people who like blinkenlights, there are dozens more who don't understand them and don't want them.

ebo

Postby ebo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am

We wanted to go for a simpler, clean look. For every one of us techie people who like blinkenlights, there are dozens more who don't understand them and don't want them.
I am shocked, SHOCKED! to hear that there are dozens of non-techies that even know that HDHomeRuns exist, much less want to buy one. They need some technical ability to get one working with whatever compatible display devices they may have, especially if it involves a build-your-own DVR, possibly involving a NAS. And those who buy the Primes need to be super-techies to educate their cable support contacts in how to authorize/validate/beatify their CableCARDs.

But there are several solutions that should satisfy everyone (at slightly increased cost, of course).

1) Put the usual lights behind a dark, translucent front panel and either add a physical switch to disable them or provide the option in software.

2) Add an opaque snap-on cover to hide the lights.

3) Put a strip of black electrical tape in the kit with detailed instructions on how to apply it.

Finally, there's a very useful light I'd like to see added: one that flashes when the supply voltage gets out of range or the ripple gets too high. I've been following this forum for years, and about the only hardware failures involve the power supply, which is easy to replace if you know that's the problem.

life_speed@yahoo.com

Postby life_speed@yahoo.com » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

But there are several solutions that should satisfy everyone (at slightly increased cost, of course).

1) Put the usual lights behind a dark, translucent front panel and either add a physical switch to disable them or provide the option in software.

2) Add an opaque snap-on cover to hide the lights.

3) Put a strip of black electrical tape in the kit with detailed instructions on how to apply it.

Finally, there's a very useful light I'd like to see added: one that flashes when the supply voltage gets out of range or the ripple gets too high. I've been following this forum for years, and about the only hardware failures involve the power supply, which is easy to replace if you know that's the problem.
LOL, all interesting ideas. The consumer electronics market is brutal when it comes to cost, we all know you guys would scream about any price increases. So long as SD is putting the money into the components that matter, I can live without the LEDS. I do have to admit the LEDs were helpful in diagnosing a networking problem that interacted with a certain model of Netgear switch firmware, though.

PCTools

Postby PCTools » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:17 pm

[removed by moderator]

a4paper

Postby a4paper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am

Any news on a dvb-s device ? for uk freesat

charettepa

Postby charettepa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 am

your official distributor in canada "Synnex"
has the hrhr5-4 and hdhr5-2 listed
but has been failing to fulfil orders since the day it became available in early October

they say its because silicondust is not sending them
can you comment or correct them / assist in getting this corrected
We have just set up up Synnex in Canada... they will be shipping stock some time in December.

Nick

Synnex Canada is still telling us they cant get this
there is a communication problem somewhere

what can we do to get this resolved, who at synnex needs to talk to who at silicondust?

charettepa

Postby charettepa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:40 am

@ Nick

can you please provide more info on this
our rep at Synnex is D Hynes
his purchasing agent at synnex is P Kwan

Mr. Hynes followed up again yesterday and the purchasing agent P Kwan advised
they are still unable to get this product from SiliconDust and have yet to be advised of any changes

your assistance is greatly apreciated

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Our sales and logistics teams are still in the process of getting distribution to Canada set up. Will update when we have more to share.

charettepa

Postby charettepa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Our sales and logistics teams are still in the process of getting distribution to Canada set up. Will update when we have more to share.
On November 29
Nick advised everything was all set up

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Synnex is set up. There are other parts of the process we're still working on.

Travelstar

Postby Travelstar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Two questions:

1. As the UK/EU/AU pretty much all use the same standards, can the UK model at the very least be used in France for example? Or Australia in the UK? I realise you sell them as separate models, however the only real difference I can see is the plug. Standards otherwise seem to be pretty much identical with the exception of the socket.

2. You mentioned earlier that the 4 tuner and 2 tuner specs were about the same. Keen to get a little more info here as my (shared) antenna on our building is not the best so some channels are a little marginal. Will the duo perform a little better in this circumstance?

Thanks.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:43 pm

1. As the UK/EU/AU pretty much all use the same standards, can the UK model at the very least be used in France for example? Or Australia in the UK? I realise you sell them as separate models, however the only real difference I can see is the plug. Standards otherwise seem to be pretty much identical with the exception of the socket.
Confirming, the AU, EU, and UK variants are all the same hardware (HDHR5-2DT or HDHR5-4DT), the difference is the plug on the AC power adapter and the region sold.
2. You mentioned earlier that the 4 tuner and 2 tuner specs were about the same. Keen to get a little more info here as my (shared) antenna on our building is not the best so some channels are a little marginal. Will the duo perform a little better in this circumstance?
They should perform the same.

Nick

LFletcher

Postby LFletcher » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:30 am

Are the new models still scheduled to be released in the UK this year?
Looking to buy one as a present for xmas.

Thanks

Return to “HDHomeRun Hardware Setup & Troubleshooting”