Two channels stopped working.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
blu28

Two channels stopped working.

Post by blu28 »

I purchased and installed a HDHomerun Duo two weeks ago, along with this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/ANTENNAS-DIRECT- ... B00K57OXOC. The antenna is mounted inside of my garage. Everything was fine up until yesterday when suddenly two of my channels suddenly became unwatchable. Almost all of the channels I get come from the same cluster in Needham, MA. The two channels that were working but stopped are 2.1, WGBH, 79MHz, and 44.1, WGBX, 79Mhz. I believe that these are my only two VHF channels. Unfortunately, I don't know what the channel strength and quality were before, but now WGBH is hovering around 63-66% signal strength, 51-53% signal quality, and symbol quality is ranging from none (most of the time), 25-40 (some of the time) and 100 (once in a while). But for two weeks the signal was fine. What could have caused this sudden change? What can I do to get these channels back? There are three channels that have lower signal strength but come in just fine, with a signal quality 7-10% higher. Is there something I can do to improve the signal quality?

The three things I can see others suggesting are adding an amplifier, adding an LTE filter or moving the antenna higher. But the SD tech support docs say that an amplifier will amplify noise and I think the LTE filter wouldn't affect interference in the VHF band and I can't really move the antenna higher up.

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Re: Two channels stopped working.

Post by ronintexas »

I would suggest talking to the station technical team - they may be broadcasting on a lower power level because of maintenance and/or upgrades to the tower. Between the repack and the ATSC3.0 upgrades, many stations has had issues over the last 2-3 years. It drove me crazy in Austin, TX for over a year... Finally someone at the station admitted what was going on.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If you have low vhf stations, you should use an antenna designed for low vhf... that one is designed high vhf (7-13) and uhf not channel 5 which needs about a 6 foot length (I believe the model you showed is about 36 inches while the newer ones are around 32).

I will always recommend an lte filter these days with the modern hdhomerun tuners. Some areas in the US may still need a 700 MHz filter rather than 600 (but eventually those higher stations should move and we "all" get 600)

Recently most interference sources I have seen causing issues other than lte has been light bulbs (cfl/leds) but low vhf can also be a number of other things

blu28

Post by blu28 »

This is certainly an issue. Those two stations are the only two on lo-VHF. Is there a way to add a lo-VHF antenna and combine the signals to the HDHomerun? Are there any lo-VHF antennas for use less than 40 miles and in an attic?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

You could try to find an old rabbit ears antenna that telescopes to at least 36" on each ear and extend each out to that length and set them horizontal, but it's hard to find any that are longer than like 20" these days. If you do find one, use an HLSJ to combine that with the existing antenna. You could also build your own DIY antenna out of a 71" length of twinlead cable (old time antenna) cable. Strip the ends, twist the two leads together on each side, cut out a small section in the middle of one lead and solder on a balun then run coax from that to the HLSJ.

For buying an antenna, the Winegard YA7000C should do the trick. Low VHF only antennas are rare and typically huge, so it's easier to just get a combo.

blu28

Post by blu28 »

I am thinking of building a horizontal dipole antenna. By my calculations, each wire would need to be 37 inches in length, with a balun connecting them. The only question I have is how do I combine this single channel lo-VHF antenna signal with my existing UHF/Hi-VHF antenna signal?

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Contact the AntennasDirect Support and they will work with you on the best solution. 1-877-825-5572

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

blu28 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:33 pm I am thinking of building a horizontal dipole antenna. By my calculations, each wire would need to be 37 inches in length, with a balun connecting them. The only question I have is how do I combine this single channel lo-VHF antenna signal with my existing UHF/Hi-VHF antenna signal?
You need an HLSJ. You can find them on eBay and sometimes on electronics sites or Amazon.

When calculating the appropriate length for a half-wave dipole, the typical formula is 95% of 1/2 wavelength due to end effect, so that works out to 71" at channel 5's 79MHz.