error sending upgrade file to hdhomerun device

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Rocco

error sending upgrade file to hdhomerun device

Post by Rocco »

It's been years since I've been to this forum, but that's because it's been years that our HDHR Extend (US) has been working fine. But we've only been using it with the Plex DVR and the mobile apps (both Android and iOS). But now we added a FireStick, and we are having transcoding problems. The first thing I thought to do was to upgrade the HDHR firmware, as we're still running on 20161119. We tried installing hdhomerun5_atsc3_firmware_20210624.bin using Nickk's "Upgrading the firmware" post, but the firmware won't upgrade.

Using the command line manual install (hdhomerun_config), we get the following error message:
"error sending upgrade file to hdhomerun device".

Using the gui manual install (hdhomerun_config_gui), we get a message box that says:
"ERROR: Error attempting to upgrade HDHomeRun". (Is it possible to attach a screen-shot?)

Is it because our firmware is so old, and we need to install interim versions?
Are we not loading the correct firmware?
Or maybe our Extend is simply broken?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Mark

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: error sending upgrade file to hdhomerun device

Post by signcarver »

Get the firmware for your device... that one is for a model less than a year old (the atsc 3 "4k" model). Extends came before 5th gen and would mention TC (hdtc) in their name for transcoding.

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thanks, signcarver.

The post didn't mention any model, and I didn't find any other firmware sets, so I had (falsely) assumed the the firmware was ambidextrous.

I will go looking for other firmware.

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

OK, I give up - Where do I find the firmware for the extend?

When I Google "HdHomeRun Extend Firmware, it only shows me Nick's above-mentioned post and a single changelog. The "Support" page only has a link to that one changelog, and has no mention of the Extend and no links to firmware. The site has no search option, so I couldn't search for the firmware either.

The "my.HdHomeRun.com" procedure is broken for me. It does show me the Extend, and does indicate that the firmware is out-of-date (the red X followed by "Version 20161119"), but when I click on the version number, i get the "Easy installation guide" page instead of the "update guide" page. Clicking the next two lines correctly shows all 218 ATSC channels and the transcode option.

I don't know what else to try.

mark

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Indeed the direct downloads for the firmware files are not easily found. You need to look at the Linux downloads from their support site.

The file you want is for the HDTC-2US

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Thanks, rpcameron.

That was a scare.
I downloaded the firmware, and used hdhomerun_config_gui to try to load it. After about 30 seconds, I got a message box saying "ERROR: Error attempting to upgrade HDHomeRun". After that, the HDHomerun was no longer visible on the network. We thought it was bricked, but thirty seconds later, it reappeared and the firmware was now up-to-date. Also, "http://my.hdhomerun.com" seems to now work, as clicking the firmware version number now takes us to the "System Status" page inside the HDHR, instead of to the "Easy installation guide" page on the website.

Problem resolved (this one, at least).

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

rpcameron wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:32 pm Indeed the direct downloads for the firmware files are not easily found.
They aren't hard to find on the info.hdhomerun.com website.
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#firmware

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

One step forward, six steps back.
I spoke too soon. I should have tested further before claiming that the problem was resolved.
The Extend seems to be doing everything right, except tuning channels.
The HDHomeRun apps on Android and iPhone report:
Unable to play channel:
Tune Failed
The FireStick2 reports:
ERROR
There was an error while attempting to tune the selected channel.
Please check your connection and try again.
And both the HDHomerun app on an old iPad and in QuickTV on WinXP just display a black screen, although the channel menu shows up and allows you to select channels.

But VLC on both Ubuntu and WinXP WORKS, when invoked from hdhomerun_config_gui.

I'm at a loss (again).

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Hi Ken,
Ken.F wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:27 pm They aren't hard to find on the info.hdhomerun.com website.
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/downloads#firmware
But starting from the main page, or the support page, or the downloads page, how would you find the info page?

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Rocco wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:24 pm But starting from the main page, or the support page, or the downloads page, how would you find the info page?
They could make it easier to find.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Run a channel scan on the Channel Lineup page on the HDHomeRun's web page and try again. Sometimes they change the format of the stored scan data on the device to add new stuff to it and if you don't do a scan to update to the new format then it can send bad data to the tuner and give you the tune failed message. That can also indicate a hardware problem, but it's far more likely to just be a scan issue, especially with an almost 5 year jump in versions.

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Hi Jason,
Thanks for that.
A channel scan was the first thing that we did when we saw the problem, as that seemed like a likely culprit. But it didn't change anything.
It's strange that VLC works, but nothing else. From hdhomerun_config, we can successfully start VLC, but not QuickTV.
mark

Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Hi Jason,
You were right.

When we discovered the problem, we went into hdhomerun_setup.exe and ran the channel scan on both tuner0 and tuner1, as that was how we used to do it. But when comparing what was in the Extend's "Channel Lineup" web page with what hdhomerun_setup had, we could see that they did not match. Once we ran "Detect Channels" from the "Channel Lineup" web page, everything worked again.

Thanks for the tip.