HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - mitch10102000

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mitch10102000

HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - mitch10102000

Post by mitch10102000 »

***UPDATE 10-1-2021***
I was having issues with the first Flex Duo and SiliconDust sent me a new one. The new one is working great! The tuner on it is definitely better than my Extend (side-by-side I am getting about 10-15% more signal quality on weaker stations). Sounds like they had a bad batch of LNAs.

The Flex tuners are garbage in comparison to the older models. I can attest to this as I have an Extend model and a Flex Duo model side by side. I hook up the Extend and grab about 45 watchable stations with the weakest one being Signal Strength 100; Signal Quality 70; Symbol Quality 100. My TV from 2008 also grabs the exact same 45 stations and they all are coming in without pixelization. When hooking up the Flex to the same antenna (same time of day), it consistently only grabs 33 stations. It appears the Low power weaker stations with the Signal Quality below 80 do not even show up in the list. I am returning the Flex due to this weak tuner inside the box. The box actually feels cheaper compared to the Extend. I imagine there probably isn't much for shielding on the Flex models. I would not recommend the Flex models and I am hoping SiliconDust makes something more like the Extend instead of putting out the cheaper components.
Last edited by mitch10102000 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception.

Post by NedS »

mitch10102000 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:28 pm The Flex tuners are garbage in comparison to the older models. I can attest to this as I have an Extend model and a Flex Duo model side by side. I hook up the Extend and grab about 45 watchable stations with the weakest one being Signal Strength 100; Signal Quality 70; Symbol Quality 100. My TV from 2008 also grabs the exact same 45 stations and they all are coming in without pixelization. When hooking up the Flex to the same antenna (same time of day), it consistently only grabs 33 stations. It appears the Low power weaker stations with the Signal Quality below 80 do not even show up in the list. I am returning the Flex due to this weak tuner inside the box. The box actually feels cheaper compared to the Extend. I imagine there probably isn't much for shielding on the Flex models. I would not recommend the Flex models and I am hoping SiliconDust makes something more like the Extend instead of putting out the cheaper components.
I'm already in communication with this user in a support ticket, but just for anyone else reading this, this was indeed a case of overloading the HDHomeRun with too much signal. It overloads the internal amplifier and everything goes wacky. Tamping down the signal will rectify this, either by bypassing the amplifier (preferably) or by using something to attenuate the signal down.

mitch10102000

Post by mitch10102000 »

I feel your pain with the over-sensitive tuner on the Flex tuners. It's like having a channel on a soundboard with the gain turned all the way up.

I have a few problem stations where in the morning, the signal goes way down (there is interference from the sun or something) and by noon, they come in just fine. I had a pre-amp on the antenna from Televes and it worked great. It would adjust the gain as needed and the stations came in on my Extend. With the Flex, the Televes pre-amp can't even adjust because the Flex is overly sensitive (there is no room for adjusting). I took the pre-amp off the antenna altogether yesterday afternoon and the signal on those 2 problem channels was at around 80% signal strength, 100% signal quality and 100% Symbol quality.

This morning, the stations are completely missing (can't even get a signal). I'm only 35 miles from the transmitter, but those channels are transmitting on a low power transmitter (they are LD channels). Somewhere in the airwaves, the interference is overpowering those stations. The Televes pre-amp has an LTE filter on it, so maybe that helped out? I'm thinking I may re-install it and then try a few splitters to bring the signal down to see what happens. I didn't have any of these problems with the Extend or my other TVs, so I'm not sure why the Flex is so finicky (seems like I have to do a lot to get this thing to work).

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - mitch10102000

Post by nickk »

Split to a new thread because your situation is unrelated to the thread you posted in.

The FLEX reception performance outperforms all generations of EXTEND. It has an improved input stage, newer generation tuners, and good shielding. The FLEX input range exceeds CableLabs specs for cable TV.

You need approximately 50% signal quality for ATSC 1.0 channels to detect as 50% corresponds to the minimum SNR needed for ATSC 1.0 reception.

Support will continue to work with you to track down any issues you are experiencing.

Nick

Jet2F

Post by Jet2F »

mitch10102000 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:20 am I feel your pain with the over-sensitive tuner on the Flex tuners. It's like having a channel on a soundboard with the gain turned all the way up.

I have a few problem stations where in the morning, the signal goes way down (there is interference from the sun or something) and by noon, they come in just fine. I had a pre-amp on the antenna from Televes and it worked great. It would adjust the gain as needed and the stations came in on my Extend. With the Flex, the Televes pre-amp can't even adjust because the Flex is overly sensitive (there is no room for adjusting). I took the pre-amp off the antenna altogether yesterday afternoon and the signal on those 2 problem channels was at around 80% signal strength, 100% signal quality and 100% Symbol quality.

This morning, the stations are completely missing (can't even get a signal). I'm only 35 miles from the transmitter, but those channels are transmitting on a low power transmitter (they are LD channels). Somewhere in the airwaves, the interference is overpowering those stations. The Televes pre-amp has an LTE filter on it, so maybe that helped out? I'm thinking I may re-install it and then try a few splitters to bring the signal down to see what happens. I didn't have any of these problems with the Extend or my other TVs, so I'm not sure why the Flex is so finicky (seems like I have to do a lot to get this thing to work).
I am using a Televes 149883 antenna with integrated LTE filter, and still needed to add an another filter.
The integrated filter did little to attenuate the T-Mo 5G signal blasting at me on RF channel 39 from 1/2 mile away.
Both the Silicon Dust model available from their Amazon store and the Channel Master CM-3201 (I have both) work well.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

MY HDHomeRun Flex 4K offers better performance than any previous HDHomeRun tuner or any television set I own.
They ARE very sensitive to a signal that is too strong for their liking, but when property set up, they are absolutely amazing.
Do a great job on ATSC 3.0, although not many devices can handle the audio properly.
Windows 10 HDR app and Firestick 4K seem to work fine for now.

mitch10102000

Post by mitch10102000 »

I was having issues with the first Flex Duo and SiliconDust sent me a new one. The new one is working great! The tuner on it is definitely better than my Extend (side-by-side I am getting about 10-15% more signal quality on weaker stations). [removed by moderator - see forum rules]