HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - williaml99

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
williaml99

HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

I have an Winegard 8200 and have tried boost xt and boost xt pro preamp. Tried with Winegard line amp and without. Had installer out twice and Winegard replaced my preamp. I actually live just down the street from Winegard in Burlington IA. Winegard has supported me well. I get every channel I should with LG TV. I can't get half that without considerable gain to HD Flex and then way less than half. There is no problem except the HD Flex. Thought I would share here before I try to get a hold of support Monday. Hopefully support will replace my unit. I hope the sensitivity is because of bad tuner instead of that's just the way they are. :) I had HDHR3-US before I purchased the flex 4k in July. I gave it to a friend. Wish I had it back now. It was not as sensitive as TV but got all the channels. I think this unit struggled from the start and has got worse. The LG says the signal strength and quality is high. Your comment's and questions are encouraged.

Thanks
Bill

alhaunts

Re: HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception.

Post by alhaunts »

I have used HDhomerun tuners for many years. From the original HDHR, HDHR3's & HDHR4's to now the HDHR5-4K & Flex. Each generation seems to be an improvement on the last. The Flex is, IMHO, the most sensitive yet. Rivaling the performance of the tuner in a quality TV set. I'm guessing the problem lies with your unit or setup.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

Thanks for the reply. I hope it is the unit. The setup is pretty is pretty standard for Burlington IA. Antenna is on high mask on roof. Preamp on mask. Less than 30 ft. to basement. Have tried straight to 4k and behind Winegard line amp. The LG tuner is awesome. I brings in border channels reliably. I wish I could record them. On average I am 50/60 miles away from towers. How far away are you? If your having good luck with 4k that is encouraging.
Also have tried HDhomerun & channel master LTE filter.

Thanks
Bill

williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

I have turned on send diagnostic in case anyone from support is looking at.

Thanks
Bill

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

You forgot to post the Device ID. ;)

williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

Device ID is 10A0F426

Weather condition ? has set in and 8-1, 18.1 and 24.1 all on same tower are getting poor reception. When I posted originally all were good. Hopefully can still get good info from diagnostics.

Thanks
Bill

Goodspike

Post by Goodspike »

How far away from the towers are you that you need amplifiers?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

On that it is most likely too strong of a signal (I would say 80% when someone reports 100% strength, especially on weakest, it is too strong).

For me my Flex picks up far more than my extend (and that isn't even counting atsc 3).

In general the newer the generation the more susceptible it is to too strong of a signal and as a result (assuming such strength is properly taken care of) the later the generation is usually better for more people but not for more areas (there is a lot of area with few people). When one lives away from people I had often found my 2nd gen worked best on my cabin (when I had one). The newer the generation one also has to watch out more for lte interference.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The log is reporting very low signal strength.

575MHz is reporting 36-39% signal strength and 63-69% signal quality.
491MHz is reporting 30-33% signal strength and 51-56% signal quality.
69MHz is reporting 55-60% signal strength and 63-67% signal quality.

Usually UHF is stronger due to antenna design.

This could suggests a bad cable, bad splitter, or failed amplifier. Amplifier failure could be an external amplifier or possibly the amplifier inside the HDHomeRun. I would start by checking everything in the path from the antenna to the HDHomeRun.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

Goodspike wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:09 pm How far away from the towers are you that you need amplifiers?
50 to 60 miles. I have ran without pre amp experimenting and it needs pre amp.

williaml99

Post by williaml99 »

nickk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 pm The log is reporting very low signal strength.

575MHz is reporting 36-39% signal strength and 63-69% signal quality.
491MHz is reporting 30-33% signal strength and 51-56% signal quality.
69MHz is reporting 55-60% signal strength and 63-67% signal quality.

Usually UHF is stronger due to antenna design.

This could suggests a bad cable, bad splitter, or failed amplifier. Amplifier failure could be an external amplifier or possibly the amplifier inside the HDHomeRun. I would start by checking everything in the path from the antenna to the HDHomeRun.
I believe you sir. Just replaced the pre amp. The installer put all new cable in. The TV handles it better. I have tried going straight to HDHomeRun, to line amp. Also have a Wingard active splitter/meter. No passive splitters ever. 575MHz is my most wanted station and it is always the worst. If I put the amp in line with the HDHomeRUN I really have to crank it up to get reception. That works for some of the stations but not all. The installer is baffled. I am 70 years old and have to pay some one to get on the roof. I am very confident in the path and components so down to HDHomeRun or something in the environment at my location. Thanks for looking at this.

Bill

jasonl
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun Flex 4K poor reception - williaml99

Post by jasonl »

The LTE filter would probably help. You're way at the edge of the coverage area for the Quad Cities stations, and the local cell towers are probably coming in much stronger than the TV broadcasts ~55 miles away, especially if you're at a lower elevation (generally, near water or the airport). If the antenna was a little easier to access I'd also suggest disconnecting the cartridge housing where the coax connects and attaching a balun directly to the UHF feed lines and checking the signal levels on that. If they're much better using a balun than using the cartridge, the the cartridge is bad and needs to be replaced. It's not a common issue, but it does happen occasionally on that antenna.