Picture & Audio Freezes - SheldonGoldwing

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: Picture & Audio Freezes - SheldonGoldwing

Post by nickk »

TnKid wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:30 pm Then explain why that one change from auto negotiation to manual port override as recommended by SD support fixed it?
That suggests a signal integrity issue (ie one end of the link and/or the cable might be a bit of of spec). Not related to the problem the OP has in this thread.

kpfleming

Post by kpfleming »

If auto-negotiation negotiated a 100Mbps link, and data transfer is not reliable, but manual configuration at 100Mbps results in reliable data transfer, then there's nothing wrong with the cable. The data rate and signaling are identical in both situations, so any issues with the cable would affect them equally.

SheldonGoldwing

Post by SheldonGoldwing »

Wow, I get back and the help posted are removed. Really?! It’s not the switch. I tried my old Cisco 10/100 switch. Bummer

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

kpfleming - that isn't what is happening. If you are experiencing a problem please start a new thread and we will help.

SheldonGoldwing - not an Ethernet problem. I think you were experiencing two issues. First something in the path between the HDHomeRun and the NAS was previously limiting throughput to 10Mbps. You fixed this on the first day and the HDHomeRun log has been delivering error-free streams since then. Reception is perfect and network throughput is perfect. Now we need to figure out why you are experiencing picture and audio freezes.

Channels DVR - can you please contact Channel support as they may be able to get diagnostic information from the Channels DVR engine. The HDHomeRun is delivering error-free to the DVR engine so the problem must be at the DVR box or the client.

HDHomeRun DVR - we can get diagnostic information from the HDHomeRun DVR and client devices to see any issues. It looks like you have a HDHomeRun DVR account - if you install the HDHomeRun DVR on your NAS we can verify the NAS is operating correctly. On the client, please enable "send diagnostic information" from the settings menu in the HDHomeRun app.

Nick

SheldonGoldwing

Solved!
Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate you.
I tried all your recommendations but nothing seemed to help until I figured out how to read the statistics on my managed switch. It showed massive Ethernet errors coming from my HDHomeRun. The problem happened in the native HDHomeRun App as well as Plex and Channels DVR. My switch was running for nearly three years and only one port reported issues. (Guess which port…) Once I sent that report to SiliconDust they sent me a new HDHomeRun at no cost and I mailed the bad one back to them for them to diagnose. It now works perfectly as advertised and my wife and I are so happy. After going through this I can see why SiliconDust was unsure the problem was theirs. There are so many variables and things going on that could cause or contribute to the issue. I tried three different antennas and two different locations, replaced the coax cables from the antenna and even the inside cabling. I tried three different splitters, no splitters, two different attenuators, I even tried the SiliconDust LTE filter. Three different switches including isolating them, and manually configured the port every possible setting including Auto, 100 full duplex, 100 half duplex, jumbo packets on and off, flow control on and off and replaced countless Ethernet cables to mention only a few things I tried. Anyway, I’m glad it is working now. I should add that SiliconDust called me afterwards to tell me they had shipped a new unit to me and apologized for some slow response times as they were in the process of moving some offices. So thank you everyone. Have a great day! Image

SheldonGoldwing

Apparently I have no idea how to post an image from my iPad here. Sorry