DVR using WD MyBookLive

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
camfixer

DVR using WD MyBookLive

Post by camfixer »

I have recently set up a DVR using my Windows 10 computer as the engine and a WD MyBookLive as the storage medium. Following the requirement of the setup software I set up a "share" on the drive named HDHomeRun. I made this a "public" share. This all worked fine and I have been recording and playing programs successfully from all computers and tablets. The problem is that the recordings ended up on my computer hard drive and not on the "public share" of the WD MyBookLive. Is it possible to have a network attached drive as the storage place for recordings using a computer as the engine or do you have to use the hard drive of the computer? The MyBookLive can't hold the DVR software so it can't be used as the engine. It's not that type of NAS. But I would like to use it store the recordings. This would allow me to access the recordings directly from my Samsung TV which has no app available for HDHomrun software. Any help? I'm pretty good with PC's but completely new to the HDHomeRun software.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: DVR using WD MyBookLive

Post by signcarver »

Recording from a pc to a share isn't supported and you must save local to the engine. The reasoning for this is that eventually you will reach a resource limit that would cause issues.

To use the nas, one would have to install the engine on the nas and from what i remember the live was a ppc variant chip and ppc is almost impossible to get to work (I've only heard of 1 case on dozens of different ppc devices where a ppc machine worked as there are too many variants). You would want a nas with a x86 or arm cpu.

The directions for creating the share is the requirement to allow/help the nas installer to perform its installation to the nas but a share isn't really necessary for the engine to run (though it does help accessing the files from things outside sd's software).

camfixer

Post by camfixer »

Thank you for your reply. I suspected this might be the case. I like to minimize trouble, so I think my best course of action will be to harvest the hard drive from the MBL and install it into an always-on spare pc dedicated to dvr duties (it has an HDMI output for TV). Am I going to have trouble changing my subscription from the existing pc to the new one? I was thinking of simply uninstalling the HDHomerun DVR software from the existing pc and then installing the DVR engine onto the dedicated pc. Then installing the client or app software to the existing pc. Is this a reasonable approach?

Another question. Can you change the target hard drive for recording, say to a USB external attached to the dedicated PC? Thinking of what happens when you fill up the drive. I guess it would be too much to hope for that you could just add a volume like in the old days of Windows Media Center.

I do appreciate your input.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The dvr authenticates using the DeviceAuth of the tuner so as long as it can see/connect to your tuner and connect to the internet it should be good to go... you can have any number if engines and they communicate with each other so only one makes the recording (usually the one with the most free space)

camfixer

Post by camfixer »

Interesting... I think I will only set up one to avoid confusion (mine). I like to sleep most of my machines and that doesn't seem to be compatible with this software.

So, and this may be beyond, is there a way to make the recordings on the drive in the dedicated machine visible to the rest of the network, say to the Samsung TV, to be explored with a file explorer, outside of the DVR software?

I'm learning a lot here and appreciate the help.