HDHR5-4K-DEV Fixed IP

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Techrep

HDHR5-4K-DEV Fixed IP

Post by Techrep »

I can't seem to locate instructions on how to set a fixed IP on my 4K-DEV. I'm sure it is covered somewhere...

My apologies in advance for asking what may be an obvious question.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5-4K-DEV Fixed IP

Post by nickk »

Fixed/static IP is not supported.

Easiest is to use use 108XXXXX.local (use actual device ID) to access the device.

Nick

fidelisoris

Post by fidelisoris »

See if your router supports static DHCP IP assignment for the device (usually by MAC address). If so, that's effectively the same thing.

Techrep

Post by Techrep »

Nick,

Not sure why you guys decided a fixed IP would not be supported. Would you care to elaborate? Seems to me to be a trivial and non-breaking add, but whatever.

Fidelisoris,

Thanks for the clue. I run a Ubiquiti network and I'm pretty sure the USG supports this but I may have to dig into the command line. As you know UI support is no great shakes.

-Techrep

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Its considered a consumer device and there is no reset button so the decision was made long ago that such could be a support nightmare as a typical user can't just hit reset and get DHCP back and you would never know what subnet it was in (i.e. if a friend gave you one and configured with a /29 you may never find it)... however with the recent firmwares maintaining the apipa (link local) address as well as the DHCP address which can be discovered by config, I think it might be time for SD to revisit that decision as anyone who does so through config most likely has the tools and knowledge to do so even if they have to temporarily put their pc in the 169.254 block to do so... there may also be ways to explore with mDNS and the hdhomerun.local as well but I forget if apipa and/or outside your current subnet gets picked up and added properly. For instance my Flex finds and communicates to my other tuners through their 169.254 address but the engine on a NAS or PC uses the dhcp address as they aren't "connected" to the 169.254 net. I do think that maybe this "could" be a dev firmware only option to start but DHCP reservation works just fine so I don't think it would get any priority for such for a long time.