How to shield Connect Quatro?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
revengineer

How to shield Connect Quatro?

Post by revengineer »

I have been having trouble receiving WBAL with my Connect Quatro for years, and I may have finally found the cause. For the first two years, I had the Quatro sitting on a network switch and reception was pretty much unusable. During the pandemic, I rearrange my office and found to my delight that reception improved. I attributed this to the transmission tower upgrade and less air traffic during the pandemic. But then reception got worse again and I was stumped and though maybe the air traffic is picking up again.

Today then, I was watching the Olympics and all was well... until my daughter turned on her computer next door. There is a wall but its drywall and the PC is within ~two feet of the Quatro. Signal quality dropped by 20-30% and the symbol quality started dropping out. I asked her to turn the PC off and when she did, the reception recovered.

Long story short, it seems that the HDHomeruns are extremely poorly shielded to the point that the tuner is just junk. In contrast, have a home theater PC running next to my TV and there is no issue whatsoever with OTA reception.

The question is then: How do I shield the HDHomerun to make it compatible with my house. Unfortunately an addition to the house to isolate a unit is not an option, so I am hoping for some pointers.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by revengineer on Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Hoe to shield Connect Quatro?

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The HDHomeRun is well shielded in all directions - it is unlikely that is the problem.

Question - are you using powerline networking or something other than Ethernet/Wifi by any chance?

Nick

revengineer

Post by revengineer »

My apology for the delayed response. I do have some powerline networking. However, this particular test was done on a machine that was connecter to the switch directly via ethernet cable. The HDHomerun is connected to the same switch. So if the powerline ethernet is at fault, the interference would have to enter the tuner through the power adapter.

Another possibility is that the interference from the PC next door radiates into the antenna located in the attic above. Distance between the PC and the antennas is ~20 feet.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

A good test would be to unplug ALL power line network adapters (not just the one closest).

I ran a test with a promising new standard of power line networking adapter a few years back and found it significantly affected TV reception on everything - TVs, HDHomeRun devices, etc. The SNQ dropped from 90% to low 50s which meant it would mostly play TV but not 100% reliably. In tracing out the problem I tested with a tuner powered by a battery pack direct connect to a laptop on battery power - problem persisted so not coming through the power path. The only paths I could think of were the big roof antenna, the RF6 cable, or the grounding path to the RG6 cable. I even tried shutting down the solar inverter as the RG6 ran past the panels and past the inverter - no improvement.

I didn't notice this with the more common HomePlug standard however the bandwidth dropped over time to the point it couldn't reliably keep up with video so I removed them.

revengineer

Post by revengineer »

Thank you, Nick. I only have two power adapters, so this will be e quick test when I find a minute and the problem reoccurs. These adapters are connected continuously and do not have much traffic on them. The occurrence of interference seems to have a different pattern, but let's exclude this. I do not have an easy means to run of a battery pack.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: How to shield Connect Quatro?

Post by nickk »

Are they HomePlug or G.hn?

It was G.hn that caused problems in my test.

Nick

revengineer

Re: How to shield Connect Quatro?

Post by revengineer »

They are D-Link DHP-700AV Powerline AV2 2000.