New flex 4K DVR storage?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
chapito

New Flex 4K USB compatibility

Post by chapito »

Hi
Im a long time HDHR3 user and looking to upgrade to the new Flex 4K or Scribe.

What are the recommended/'expected' usb drives to use for DVRin the USB port?
what is the power rating for a bus-powered USB drive (like a Samsung T7)?
what are my USB options for the new Flex? I would hope to use a high quality media 128Gb card as storage.

Im trying to find this info before purchase, any links to specs info greatly appreciated.
thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Re: New Flex 4K USB compatibility

Post by nickk »

The HDHomeRun FLEX is rated to bus power a 2.5" HDD. You can use a flash stick however not all flash sticks will keep up with multiple streams of video.

Nick

chapito

Post by chapito »

Thanks Nick.
Are there any that work better than others? (ie SDXC card Class10 or UHS-1 etc etc )
What file format does the HDHR need for DVR storage? (exFAT, NTFS, etc)

Im currently using a T7 for movie storage and files across my LAN. I'd hope to use that drive in the HDHR USB port for all my storage access.
if I can't use the USB port can I set an external NAS as my DVR storage location?

chapito

New flex 4K DVR storage?

Post by chapito »

HI
can the Flex DVR storage be set to use a LAN NAS drive or is it restricted to the builtin USB port only?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

chapito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:14 pm Are there any that work better than others? (ie SDXC card Class10 or UHS-1 etc etc )
What file format does the HDHR need for DVR storage? (exFAT, NTFS, etc)
XFS filesystem.

The potential issue with cheap USB sticks is the write performance. Not just average write performance but you need reasonably consistent write performance, including over time as you get more rewrite cycles on the stick.
I would jump in and try it.
chapito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:14 pm if I can't use the USB port can I set an external NAS as my DVR storage location?
You can install the HDHomeRun Record engine on most NAS boxes.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Re: New flex 4K DVR storage?

Post by nickk »

chapito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:50 pm HI
can the Flex DVR storage be set to use a LAN NAS drive or is it restricted to the builtin USB port only?
You can use a Windows PC, Mac, Android TV box, or most NAS boxes by installing the HDHomeRun Record engine on that device. The FLEX has the record engine built in - just plug in a USB storage device.
We don't support record or playback via a mounted share from another device due to limitations of network sharing.

Nick

chapito

Post by chapito »

HI Nick,
I have a NAS drive (DLNA) on my LAN connected to my router so al my Macs can access movies etc. Could I set that as the DVR drive with the flex?

or If I get the Scribe could I access the internal 1Tb drive to store my (non HDHR) media files as well?

thanks for advice,

chapito

Post by chapito »

Thanks nick, I just saw your (other) reply. I'm torn between the Flex4k and Scribe4k. I'd love to use 'one storage location' for my LAN shared media files and the DVR. I just confused as to which would be the best option

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Threads merged.

You can have any number of HDHomeRun tuners on your network, any number of HDHomeRun record engines, and any number of clients. Everything autodetects and works together as one DVR system.

FLEX is a tuner. It is also be a record engine if you plug in USB storage.
SCRIBE is a tuner + record engine (1TB built in HDD).
SERVIO is a record engine (no tuners, 2TB built in HDD).
If you have a supported NAS you can install the HDHomeRun Record engine directly on the NAS.

As long as you have at least one tuner product and at least one record engine it will work.

Say you have a SCRIBE and a FLEX with a HDD - the SCRIBE can use tuners in the FLEX to record and/or the FLEX can use the tuners in the SCRIBE to record... everything just works together.
Add a SERVIO and you have more total space for recordings - it will record from either SCRIBE or FLEX.

Comparing FLEX with SCRIBE - SCRIBE includes the first year of DVR guide whereas FLEX or NAS the cost is $35.

chapito

Post by chapito »

If I get a 4K Scribe could I access the internal 1Tb HDD via LAN to store my (non HDHR) media files as well?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

chapito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:24 pm If I get a 4K Scribe could I access the internal 1Tb HDD via LAN to store my (non HDHR) media files as well?
No, the HDD is for recordings.
Same with FLEX - if you attach a HDD it will be used for recordings. It can't be used as a file share.

Nick

chapito

Post by chapito »

Ah ok. Tha t helps clear up my choices.
Thanks again Nick for the guidance!!

RockHyrax

Post by RockHyrax »

Hello-
I'm interested in either the Flex 4K, the Scribe 4K, or a new OTA Tivo. I am a current Tivo owner, but my current Tivo is cable only. One of the huge benefits of the Tivo is that when the storage fills up I can offload the files to my NAS (if they are clear QAM) and then either edit then with VideoReDo or simply watch them with Plex, Kodi, or VLC, or whatever. The major downsides of the Tivo are that I need 3rd party software to be able to offload shows, and that that do not support ATSC 3.0. So I'd like to try try either the Flex or Scribe, if they allow me to freely access the recordings. Do they?

Also, if 4K OTA broadcasts ever appear in my area, I suspect the recordings will be hug - for example my recording of the recent Super Bowl was 30 GB. I have no idea how big a 4K broadcast of the Super Bowl might be, but I suspect it could be over 100 GB. Would I be able to put a larger HDD in the Scribe. I'd understand doing so might break the warranty, but if I had a Scribe I'd want to be able to upgrade the disk.

Thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

With the HDHomeRun DVR you can have any amount of storage and you don't need to move files around - just keep adding storage.

When you want more space simple add another SCRIBE, another FLEX with HDD attached, another SERVIO, or add a supported NAS to the mix.

All the HDHomeRun storage space on the network adds together.

Nick

chapito

Post by chapito »

Hi Nick
After trying Tablo I came running back to SD because Tablo is a 'closed system'—I couldn't use the apps, software, and network options I wanted. I think many of us, (well at least me) don't want to have alot of additional 'boxes' and want to consolidate our setups.

Will the recorded shows on the Scribe (or Flex with attached USB HD) be accessible via an app like VLC? or will the DVR files only be accessible thru the HDHR app?

And, if using a NAS for the DVR files, will those be accessible thru third party apps like VLC or only thru the HDHR app?

or add a supported NAS to the mix.
I see only WD Cloud mentioned. What are the supported NAS recommendations/limitations? is there a link to the info on the site?

Thanks!