Signal via home coax and surge protection?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Ramias

Signal via home coax and surge protection?

Post by Ramias »

I don't have a 'real' antenna yet. Tried a few but not impressed. I have a bunch of coax wires in the basement (not from the cable company -- that was literally cut due to a tree removal and Fios is disconnected from coax). There are no attic nor roof antennas. Yet I get 40 channels from one of those coax wires -- better than some of the real antennas I've tried.

Should I be worried about grounding or surge protection?

What I don't want is a power surge coming in via coax, out HDHomeRun to my Unifi switch and through the rest of my wired network.

I tried a coax splitter with a grounding screw but that causes me to lose a few channels.

Also looked into ethernet surge protectors (so I'd lose the HDHomeRun in a power surge but protect the rest of my network). Figured I'd get the views of the experts here. Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Signal via home coax and surge protection?

Post by NedS »

I guess it depends on where the coaxial cables are going. They're basically acting as crude antenna. Outdoor antennas should be grounded per local code and NEC (if in the US), but grounding isn't really required for indoor antennas. Coaxial splitters have a grounding screw because they can be used as a grounding block for an outdoor antenna, but everyone I've talked to said that it's generally better to use a dedicated coaxial grounding connector, and just ignore the splitter's ground.

This might be going overboard, but one of the best resources on the subject of grounding is Mike Holt videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXYYXAD9Alk

Mike Holt literally wrote the book on this stuff, as in he was involved in the writing of the National Electric Code. He's really good about explaining why we ground, and dispelling some of the myths and misunderstandings with electrical grounding.