No audio via Roku Stick+ devices

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mckinneyrs

No audio via Roku Stick+ devices

Post by mckinneyrs »

I have two TVs with Roku Stick+ devices, one is a Samsung, the other is a Panasonic, yet neither plays the audio from my HDHomeRun Connect. I tried adjusting the audio settings between Auto Detect & others, no luck.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: No audio via Roku Stick+ devices

Post by signcarver »

Best roku can usually do is pass through ac-3 audio... older tv's (particularly older samsungs) didn't accept ac-3 audio through hdmi.

mckinneyrs

Post by mckinneyrs »

Any fixes or work arounds?
How do other apps transmit audio through Roku devices?

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

It looks like TVs and projectors without the ability to decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI aren't supported:
"To hear audio, you need a TV, AV receiver, or soundbar that can decode Dolby Digital or AC3 audio over HDMI. Most modern TVs can do this, though we’ve noticed a few Samsung TVs cannot."
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku

gadgetguy7

Post by gadgetguy7 »

I just wanted to post a possible solution for this. I have an old Samsung TV and could not hear the audio while using the HD Homerun app through my Roku Stick. I linked my HD Homerun to my Plex server and opened the Plex app on the Roku stick. I am able to hear the audio on the live channels through the Plex app. Plex must be doing the audio decoding. Good luck!

jadesse

Post by jadesse »

I had audio up until about 3 or 4 days ago on my Roku. I have a firestick connected to the same TV and I have audio when using the HD Homerun app. Something has changed somewhere.

HDHome_Boy

Post by HDHome_Boy »

Agreed. Roku stick was working fine until Roku's recent update last week. I have other Rokus in the house without any issues (after the updates) but the stick. Hope Silicondust is monitoring this forum.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

What build are you guys using? This current issue is probably separate from the lack of AC3 decoding originally discussed in this thread. There's a thread over on the Roku forums that was started back in April with people talking about surround sound being broken: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Devi ... d-p/679620

Some in the thread thought build 4195 fixed it for them, others said it didn't. People there are saying that build 4198 hasn't fixed it for them, either. Some people are saying it has to do with the bitrate of the content. I haven't received build 4198 yet, but I guess it's possible that it's broken something further.

Anyway, this thread title is ambiguous and I think different bugs are being discussed.

Edit: Also, here's a thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/ ... _one_that/

HDHome_Boy

Post by HDHome_Boy »

Noted. However, the issues remains the same--no audio on TV with the Roku Stick build 4200-55 (10.0.0). Insignia TV was working fine with audio until about two weeks ago and never changed any settings. Audio settings on Roku remains at auto. Again, no HDhomerun problems with other Rokus.

HDHome_Boy

Post by HDHome_Boy »

Quick update: Sound issue has been resolved after messing around with the Roku's remote. I was about to throw away the stick when I thought of pressing the * button on the remote and changed the sound voliume from leveling to off. Also pressed play and forward/rewind buttons. No more sound issues.

tshaff09

Post by tshaff09 »

Hi,
New here. Considering getting the hd homerun flex in the near future. Is anyone successfully using the Nvidia Shield 8gb (stick version) with HD homerun?
Since they named their products the same, searching for "sheild" found good reults but I'm not sure they are for the same device. :)