Channel Tuning

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
John F.

Channel Tuning

Post by John F. »

Hi
the following: if I switch on a transmitter of a certain frequency, it does not work at first. But if I switch on a transmitter from a different frequency, the transmitter that did not work at first works again. It is as if the non-working transmitter is only opened when I switch on another frequency.

Does someone has an idea why?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Channel Tuning

Post by signcarver »

What are you referring to as transmitters? the devices have tuners not transmitters and those tuners receive data from transmitters so I am trying to understand how you are flipping on and off a transmitter. Though some may have devices that produce their own channels, your wording makes me think you aren't talking about transmitters but if you are what brand/model transmitter.

What software, are you trying to view such stream with as most modern software will first make you detect the transmitted channel via the scan?

John F.

Post by John F. »

Hi
i have the HDHomeRun Connect Duo. I have tested it with VLC, Emby and Plex.
When i try to stream a channel, it will not tuned. When i click on another channel to tune, the channel that don´t have worked, now will be streamed.

Is it so hopefully more understandable?

Cayars

Post by Cayars »

Hi, Carlo from Emby here.

I did a remote support session with John and what we see is 503 errors getting returned.
To eliminate any outside software we can open the UI of the Connect in a web browser and click on the channel number listed in the channel lineup and the tuner itself will give a blank page with a 503 error.

If we click on another channel to save the stream, abort/cancel it and go back to the problem channel it will then work.

He has several channels that all do this 503 error routine but work if first watching another channel (all from the Quatro web UI).

John can elaborate better than I but I believe the Quatro is connected to his cable system.

Hope that clears up what we are seeing.

PS I don't remember the firmware version off the top of my head but I think it's the most recent version but definitely a 2021 version.
I've never seen this 503 error before in all the HDHomeRuns I've worked with belonging to different customers or any of my own.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Prior it was stated being a duo, not quatro... and some mistakenly call the original connect (4th gen) that only had 2 tuners for a duo. There was an issue with the firmware earlier this year with the 4th gen units that may have behaved like that (though most described it as always busy) but the duo and quatro are 5th gen but my suggestion is to make sure it is on latest.

What region is this in? I seem to recall an issue with DVB-C as some tables had some conflicting data with some provider and for some reason I thought the fix was to run a scan with no coax attached to clear things out to get some id number entered but this typically only would have been needed if bought used or the user moved... I'm not really a DVB-C person and haven't used such since prior to the connects/expand.

Most likely it will require turning on sending of diagnostic data and providing deviceID for the folks at SD to take a look and the steps repeated (I would suggest from web page) and though I don't think if one gets the 503 it would require further "watching" but they typically request to wait 5 minutes.

John F.

Post by John F. »

What does that mean for me, please?
Is there any way to fix the problem?
Thank you!

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

First state if any of that applies to you as I mentioned a couple of different things it could be bur it depends on model and type of signal. the main thing is to post deviceid and turn on sending of diagnostics data to SD. Run a channel and reproduce the issue

John F.

Post by John F. »

Hi
the ID is: 1241B1DE

Sending diagnostic data is activated.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Hopefully nickk or NedS, can see something. I do suggest making sure you are on latest firmware.

To be clear, are you connected to antenna (aerial) or cable .

If on cable you may wish to run a scan without the cable attached to clear things out then reattach the cable and go through the setup process again with another scan which was a trick for one particular issue but I don't know if that is your problem.

John F.

Post by John F. »

Thank you!

Yes, it´s connected via cable.

The firmware is: Firmware Version 20210224

I will try your Tipp.

John F.

Post by John F. »

@signcarver

A big thanks to you!! It seems that your tipp was the perfect idea.

Hope for a long time!

Best regards and stay safe

John F.

Post by John F. »

I was happy too soon. Unfortunately the problem persists as described.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Hopefully someone from SD can take a look, right now I think they are worried more about issues in the app that are possibly affecting all but that should be winding down now that those fixes are released (though there may be some tweaks). I'm not a dvb-c person and haven't used such since they went to the tuner keeping the lineup and from what I recall doing the steps I mentioned might prompt the user for some number to say which lineup to use when there are multiple with the same virtual channel number on the line. I am curious in the logs if it states that no tuner is available or if it is tuning a different frequency/program but when diagnostics is on nickk or NedS should see more than you can and may have some ideas... jasonl won't see such info any more but he might also have some good ideas in troubleshooting such.

The only other thing I might consider is a power supply issue but I don't see from your description how that would be the issue (typically an issue with a power supply starts with one specific tuner having issues and/or when more than one tuner is in use) many will first notice such problems right after a power cycle or firmware update.

John F.

Post by John F. »

Ok, thank you very much!

I hope an update will be provided soon.
Have a nice weekend !!