Signal cuts out when turn on things. Interference Firmware?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
speedingcheetah1

Signal cuts out when turn on things. Interference Firmware?

Post by speedingcheetah1 »

I recently have discovered many things in my home are causing my OTA channels to loose signal, cut out.
Cutting the signal strength and symbol quality to near zero.
Most are fans, turn them on or off, it cuts the signal for a sec.
Toggle the fan speed switch, it cause a signal cut for that entire time you toggle the switch.
I have 2 identical wand massagers, one of them, just having it on, causes nearly all OTA channels to have very poor signal and be un-watchable.

Nothing has changed in my setup for the last couple years.
Same antenna, Mohu Ranger using RG6 cable.

I have a HDHR Quadro. on current firmware 20210224.
I am pretty sure this interference issue has not existed since i first setup things.
So, I suspect firmware related maybe?

All tuners are affected.
I have rebooted the HDHR.
Changed the cat6a ethernet cable.

It has a Channel Master LTE filter on the cable right before the HDHR. (removed it, no change)
No amp, not needed, all but 3 of my OTA channels already have strong signal.

I also tried those Ferrite clamp on cable things that are supposed to help with certain interference, tried on power cords of offending fans, on the HDHR power cord...no effect.

Some one on the Channels DVR forums mentioned they had similar interference issues recently had were sent custom firmware from SD....not sure if that would help me, or if there is some hardware issue going on.

EDIT: Here is a link to a screencap of the HDHR Tech signal stats.
1st trigger is the massager wand turned on and running. (Pretty much cuts everything thing.)
2nd trigger is me flipping the fan speed switch several times. (mainly cuts Symbol Quality)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cba-D_ ... sp=sharing

EDIT2: I do NOT use any amp. All but one channel, ION, are strong signal ~95% and in my testing, any amplification causes those strong channels to overpower the HDHR and cause digitizing and break ups. The small usb powered amps that came with the Mohu antennas i have owned, also fully block some channels like ION and some SD local broadcast stations from some reason. So, its not an issue with an amp amplifying any sort of noise. Just for fun, I did add in the amp, and got the same results as with no amp as far as this issue goes. Not sure, it may have made it even more an issue when using an amp.
Last edited by speedingcheetah1 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

jasonl
Expert

Re: Signal cuts out when turn on things. Interference Firmware?

Post by jasonl »

It's called impulse noise, and it can come from a variety of sources. The biggest culprits are fluorescent lights (especially cheap CFLs), dimmer switches, some LED light bulbs (mostly cheap Chinese shit), and anything that converts electricity into motion, including fans, motors, pumps, and compressors. It will often get worse as the components age. This is the same thing that those of us who are old enough will remember would make the TV go all fuzzy on Saturday morning cartoons when mom would start vacuuming in the living room. In the digital world, instead of fuzz, you get breakups and loss of signal.

Ferrites may or may not make a difference (probably not), but the best thing is to just put as much distance between the offending object any any part of the TV reception (antenna/cable/splitters/HDHomeRun) as possible.

speedingcheetah1

jasonl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:45 pm It's called impulse noise, and it can come from a variety of sources. The biggest culprits are fluorescent lights (especially cheap CFLs), dimmer switches, some LED light bulbs (mostly cheap Chinese shit), and anything that converts electricity into motion, including fans, motors, pumps, and compressors. It will often get worse as the components age. This is the same thing that those of us who are old enough will remember would make the TV go all fuzzy on Saturday morning cartoons when mom would start vacuuming in the living room. In the digital world, instead of fuzz, you get breakups and loss of signal.

Ferrites may or may not make a difference (probably not), but the best thing is to just put as much distance between the offending object any any part of the TV reception (antenna/cable/splitters/HDHomeRun) as possible.
Yes yes...i know all that.
I have tested all my lights, new and old, vaccum etc,. none of that affects it.

But like I said, I have had this setup for years, nothing has changed. Same devices, same HDHR, same antenna etc.
It should NOT be happening.

Not possible to move anything. Its a medium sized apartment unit.
And again, same things in same places, that did not cause such severe interference before.

Only thing that has changed is the HDHR firmware...so thats the only thing i can really suspect, the hdhr tuner has changed in some fashion.

The tuner is among many other cords, network, power etc, a small network switch, behind my desk, with the coax cable about 30 feet, run along the floor, through the wall, to the back bedroom, where the antenna is mounted above a window. Been that way, and after extensive testing when i first got it, years ago, to be the best and is the most far away location from all my devices already.

I did try temporary moving the HDHR to as close to the antenna as possible, using a much shorter coax cable, resulting in a much longer ethernet run though, but it did not have any effect. If anything, overall signal strength quality went down on all channels.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 »

Where are the HDHomerun tuners manufactured??

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

clarkss12 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 am Where are the HDHomerun tuners manufactured??
Designed in USA, assembled in Taiwan.

speedingcheetah1

clarkss12 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 am Where are the HDHomerun tuners manufactured??
What does that even have to do with the topic???

speedingcheetah1

I enabled diagnostics and tuned to a channel, and turned on the devices to make it break up.
I also ran a channel scan. (i lost 1 channel when i did this for some reason, not sure why or which one)

Model: HDHR5-4US
Device ID: 10799EB6
Firmware: 20210224

Could you please review and possibly give me some insight into what is going on?

I also added a link to a screencap video of what the signal stats when the issue happens.

speedingcheetah1

Anything? What point is there in providing diagnostics if they company never bothers to respond to sending them.
This issue is getting fustrating.
I am now having to supplement my OTA antenna tv with the legal online local tv service provider(S.D apparently blocks posting the name of said service) which is far lower quality, but is at least stable and does not go out the moment someone turns on something.
The online stream option was not available in my area when i first dumped cable and switched to OTA couple years ago....and the ideal of removing and trashing the $ and lots of time i put into the antenna equipment and HDHR tuner sickens me.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Hi speedingcheetah1,

The HDHomeRun has been in standby mode for the last 4 days and not being used - nothing useful has logged.

The log from the first day shows some channels working perfectly, and some channels with very poor signal quality.

Can you please run the HDHomeRun app, tune a channel, and let it sit on that channel for 5 minutes. Maybe start with a working channel for 5 minutes, then try a glitching channel for 5 minutes.

Nick

speedingcheetah1

nickk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:51 am Hi speedingcheetah1,

The HDHomeRun has been in standby mode for the last 4 days and not being used - nothing useful has logged.

The log from the first day shows some channels working perfectly, and some channels with very poor signal quality.

Can you please run the HDHomeRun app, tune a channel, and let it sit on that channel for 5 minutes. Maybe start with a working channel for 5 minutes, then try a glitching channel for 5 minutes.

Nick
As i said, i did that last week when i enabled the send diags. there should be plenty of data for your to review from that time.

I have been at work all week and not using it.

Also, you don't seem to understand, there is not separate channels that work fine and one that glitches...i can make any channel glitch out by turning on said appliance.
So changing channels does nothing really and is not a factor.

But i will go ahead and turn on a channel and stream it for a bit as u asked.

speedingcheetah1

There. I just played 4.1 and then 5.1 for a few minutes, then caused the break up for a couple min, then let it play again. Did a few times now.

Though, i gather all you can tell me is just "poor signal"...which i can see by the live stats on the HDHR itself when it happens, when i turn on the offending electrical device anywhere in my home.
Not sure if you can see more tech details as to the interference causing the issue, or if it is for sure antenna side or internal tuner side when it hits.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Thanks - 4.1 was perfect for the test. I can see the reported errors.

Can you please upgrade to 20210404beta1 and repeat the same test on channel 4.1:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... s_beta.exe

Nick

speedingcheetah1

nickk wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 pm Thanks - 4.1 was perfect for the test. I can see the reported errors.

Can you please upgrade to 20210404beta1 and repeat the same test on channel 4.1:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... s_beta.exe

Nick
Upgraded. No change when do the same test as before.