Antenna question

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
TheGmer

Antenna question

Post by TheGmer »

Good day all!

I am in the research process to make my purchase. My question is, is there any antennas that are better or worse than another? indoor or outdoor? Amplified or not? The antenna towers are between 27 and 35 miles away from where I live.

JDazell

Re: Antenna question

Post by JDazell »

AntennasDirect.com

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

There isn't a "single solution" that works for everyone. By a general rule of thumb, the larger the antenna, the more gain the antenna has (the ability to pick up weaker signals). Yagi style antennas (think of the antennas from the 1960s-1980s) are directional, and usually are more sensitive in nature. The "omnidirectional" antennas do not work well for distance, but they do pick up stations that are located out of the directional view of the Yagi style antennas.

If you are lucky, the broadcast towers are in a "straight line" from your house (within 5 to 10 degrees of each other), and a decent antenna should work well.

I utilize an Antennas Direct Clearstream Max4 in my attic, and live about 45 miles out from the towers, and pickup virtually all of the stations available without issues. I am lucky in that all the transmission towers are almost due south of my home. There is one station that is 10 miles to the east that I can't pickup (if I rotate the antenna, I can pick it up).

I don't recommend the "flat panel" antennas, especially if you are looking for VHF (RF Channel 2-13) stations...they don't have VHF elements.

alexandroid

Post by alexandroid »

TheGmer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:29 am Good day all!

I am in the research process to make my purchase. My question is, is there any antennas that are better or worse than another? indoor or outdoor? Amplified or not? The antenna towers are between 27 and 35 miles away from where I live.
I recently bought a Winegard FlatWave Amped Pro Model TH-3000 indoor "leaf" antenna and it truly exceeded my expectations. Its cheaper version without the signal meter, Flatwave Amped Model FL5500A, should work just as well because they both seem to have the same built-in low-noise preamp which is fantastic. I use an external version of this amp, Boost XT Model LNA-200, with another antenna and it performs much better than other preamps I've tried. I think that's Winegard's secret sauce.

I currently live in an urban environment 46 miles from the Los Angeles area transmitters without a direct line of sight. I cannot have an outdoor antenna and don't have an attic. To make things more challenging, my favorite station (an ABC affiliate) broadcasts in the High VHF band (177 MHz) that calls for larger antenna elements. I was ready to give up on my HDHomeRun tuners that had served me so well.

Since I had good luck in the UHF band with a MOHU leaf antenna in the past, I first purchased a newer model: Mohu Leaf Supreme Pro Indoor Amplified Antenna. Physically, it's much larger than a typical leaf antenna and one reviewer said it worked well in the High VHF band. Unfortunately, not for me and I had to return it.

My new Winegard antenna works great on both bands. However, I could not find a single spot that would give me a full coverage. One window gave me strong VHF only and another only UHF. I couldn't use an antenna combiner. But that was easy to fix with two HDHomeRuns which I already had. Now I have two antennas, one in each window, with their own tuners and more than 100 channels. Yes, most of them are in languages I don't understand but I've got all the channels I wanted. (And I was thinking about learning Spanish anyway so that's a bonus.)