HDHR5-4K Overload Issue vs HDHR-US & Other Tuners

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
stevegoldrich

HDHR5-4K Overload Issue vs HDHR-US & Other Tuners

Post by stevegoldrich »

I have been using several units of the older HDHR-US model for a number of years at home (Indianapolis) and at two remote controlled DX sites in Illinois for distant reception. Now I have the new HDHR5-4K at home testing with 1.0 stations but since I received it late last year I've had to use an attenuator on the antenna cable prior to the RF input on the unit in order to view any possible distant reception that might decode. The same antenna signal provides a very workable signal strength on the older HDHR-US and other 1.0 digital tuners, such as an LG TV, 13-year-old Insignia STB and 10-year-old Sony TV without having to use an attenuator. Is this an inherent issue with this new model or it is an isolated issue with my particular unit?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5-4K Overload Issue vs HDHR-US & Other Tuners

Post by nickk »

Hi,

All modern HDHomeRun products use an amplified 2 or 4 way splitter inside. If you have a very strong RF signal (needs to be seriously strong) you can max out the amplified splitter.

Generally this means over amplification before the HDHomeRun or you are close to a cell phone tower that is using the 600MHz or 700Mhz band.

A device with a single tuner (including the HDHR-US which had a tuner input per tuner) can auto-adjust for over-strong signals at the expense of reducing performance for the weakest signals.

If your problem is LTE it would be a good idea to install a 608MHz LTE filter to knock out the LTE band.

Nick

stevegoldrich

Post by stevegoldrich »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:41 am Hi,

All modern HDHomeRun products use an amplified 2 or 4 way splitter inside. If you have a very strong RF signal (needs to be seriously strong) you can max out the amplified splitter.

Generally this means over amplification before the HDHomeRun or you are close to a cell phone tower that is using the 600MHz or 700Mhz band.

A device with a single tuner (including the HDHR-US which had a tuner input per tuner) can auto-adjust for over-strong signals at the expense of reducing performance for the weakest signals.

If your problem is LTE it would be a good idea to install a 608MHz LTE filter to knock out the LTE band.

Nick
Hi nickk,

First of all, thanks for your previous reply. Now, as of today, I'm experiencing another issue with the new HDHR5-4K which is 180 degrees from my previous comments.

Now, instead of too much signal causing decoding issues, the HDHR5-4K is indicating too little signal, or at least less signal than should be indicated, for my local stations, most of which are only 5 miles distant. As a comparison, one LP station is indicating a 41% signal strength via the HDHR5-4K receiver while connecting the same coaxial cable from the outdoor antenna setup to an old HDHR-US receiver is indicating a 100% signal strength reading. This is happening up and down the dial with my local stations. The previous overloading issue I commented on was not affecting most of my locals, only more out-of-market stations.

In perusing other posts, I am reading similar posts relating to lost channels/weaker signals. Now this seems to be my problem. After using several units of the HDHR-US model for a number of years, I am rather frustrated with this new unit and hope that improvements can be made.

Here are some examples of what your HDHR-US units have been capable of receiving at two remote sites in Illinois. https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?req ... e=ET&unit= and https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?req ... e=ET&unit= Very happy with these results from the HDHR-US.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

stevegoldrich wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:14 pm Hi nickk,

First of all, thanks for your previous reply. Now, as of today, I'm experiencing another issue with the new HDHR5-4K which is 180 degrees from my previous comments.

Now, instead of too much signal causing decoding issues, the HDHR5-4K is indicating too little signal, or at least less signal than should be indicated, for my local stations, most of which are only 5 miles distant. As a comparison, one LP station is indicating a 41% signal strength via the HDHR5-4K receiver while connecting the same coaxial cable from the outdoor antenna setup to an old HDHR-US receiver is indicating a 100% signal strength reading. This is happening up and down the dial with my local stations. The previous overloading issue I commented on was not affecting most of my locals, only more out-of-market stations.

In perusing other posts, I am reading similar posts relating to lost channels/weaker signals. Now this seems to be my problem. After using several units of the HDHR-US model for a number of years, I am rather frustrated with this new unit and hope that improvements can be made.

Here are some examples of what your HDHR-US units have been capable of receiving at two remote sites in Illinois. https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?req ... e=ET&unit= and https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?req ... e=ET&unit= Very happy with these results from the HDHR-US.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
Please send us a message at support@silicondust.com and mention this thread.