One channel pixelated/ ticket 146964

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
thinders1951

One channel pixelated/ ticket 146964

Post by thinders1951 »

Here is my set up
HD Duo (new with updated SW) / I do not use DVR function, only live
2019 Shield PRO
Integra 5.2 AVR
2018 LG C8
All devices are wired ethernet
Shield connected to AVR via HDMI
AVR connected to LG via HDMI.
This set up plays streaming / saved 4 K / HDR content with no issues

I have the duo connected to a directional antenna. The antenna is on a mast, on the NW corner of our house. The phoenix channels are located nearly due W of us on a mountaintop.

When the antenna is connected (a direct run of ~120 ft with no splitters) directly to the tv (LG c8), I get 90 channels.
All channels are clear with no issues / pixelization.

I really only want the "national" channels.

When connected to the duo. I get 82 channels. Not an issue, again I get the major channels.
However, one channel, 12.1 / KPNX / NBC is pixelated using either the HD or Google Live channels app on the Shield.

If I use the HD app on the LG, no pixelization on 12.1

Good cabling from the antenna to the dou / TV, direct, no splitters.

Without any amp, the HD config reports that 12.1 has a signal strength of 90+ and the other measures are 100

I have tried a Channel Master variable preamp at the antenna, no improvement.

Adjacent channels 8 and 10 are fine, no pixelization.

I tried running the Shield at 1080vs 4K, no improvement

Here is information on the channels here in Phoenix based on my address:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... eb6a4b53c1

Here is information on the antenna I have installed:

https://www.channelmaster.com/products/ ... -cm-3010hd

I opened a ticket with Support on 23 March, received a response with request for information ( ticket # 146964 ).
I supplied the requested information, and a example video showing the pixelization.
I have not received a response from Support..

Suggestions?

jasonl
Expert

Re: One channel pixelated/ ticket 146964

Post by jasonl »

For what it's worth, KPNX received a construction permit from the FCC on 2/26 to move from channel 12 to channel 18, which they requested due to the large number of people having trouble receiving their channel 12 broadcast. I don't know when they plan to actually make the move, but that will almost certainly fix your issue. You're most likely having trouble because your antenna isn't large enough to have optimal reception on VHF. 8 and 10 are more powerful than 12 and that can make just enough of a difference to overcome the antenna's limitations when you're right on the edge of reception.

thinders1951

Post by thinders1951 »

Wow
Thanks for the update.

I had been told that they were at a frequency that was "tough" to receive. In fact they publish steps to help, including checking adjacent channels.

I'll give them a call and ask for their plans!

Thanks again!!!

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

jasonl wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 pm I don't know when they plan to actually make the move, but that will almost certainly fix your issue.
The mention of the pixealtion on nvidia Shield and an NBC OTA triggers a memory that suggest that this could be a hardware issue (as I believe you have posted somewhere else that this is a non-fixable hardware issue with some nvidia GPUs).

For the OP, if possible, you should try viewing on a different device (that does not have an nvidia GPU), which would confirm/refute this is a hardware issue.

thinders1951

Post by thinders1951 »

Thanks
The HD app on my 2018 LG is not pixelated on 21.1 / NBC

Before I.go.to Nvidia....can you elaborate on why.only.one channel on the Shield would have an issue?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Ah, you might be hitting a known bug in the Nvidia Shield MPEG2 decoder. It is a tricky one because we can't detect the problem occurring.

thinders1951

Post by thinders1951 »

Hmmmm

I guess if there was a bug in the Shield I would expect the problem to be more wide spread across the channels. The problem is.so evident on 12.1 and so absent on every other channel.

I've checked this forum with no mention of this issue, could be poor search on my part.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

thinders1951 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm Hmmmm

I guess if there was a bug in the Shield I would expect the problem to be more wide spread across the channels. The problem is.so evident on 12.1 and so absent on every other channel.

I've checked this forum with no mention of this issue, could be poor search on my part.
99.9% of channels will work fine on the Nvidia Shield. The problem only occurs if the encoder generates more table entries in some table than the Shield can handle. It isn't the fault of the encoder but most encoders don't trigger the problem.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

I hadn't heard of KPNX being an issue with NVIDIA, but it's possible. Other stations owned by the same company have had the issue.

Curious if you talked to them and got a date from them about moving from 12 to 18. I couldn't find anything with a quick search, but that kind of thing doesn't usually see widespread chatter until they start running ads saying that people need to rescan on a specific date.

thinders1951

Post by thinders1951 »

Thanks for your reply.

I sent an email on 11 April, and await a response.