Signal Strength - WHAT?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
JudgeDredd

Signal Strength - WHAT?

Post by JudgeDredd »

Anyone else experiencing this? I received a new HDHomeRun CONNECT 4K (Model: HDHR5-4K) via Kickstarter. I have updated to most recent firmware - Firmware: 20201030. I have the CONNECT connecting through the main antenna line that was split once. On the other line I have an older Samsung TV (about 5yrs old). The line to my TV is about 50ft from the split and the CONNECT is about 2ft from the split. All cabling is NEW RG6. The Samsung picks up more channels and has a higher signal strength while the CONNECT has fewer channels and multiple channels don't come in. Channel strength is all on the ATSC 1 signal due to older TV not having the ATSC 3. I even hooked up the CONNECT to the antenna without the splitter and same channels/strength. The HEVC works at times but in Phoenix it seems like they keep pulling the HEVC off broadcast and then adding it back. I constantly run "DETECT CHANNELS" to get the HEVC back.

Anyone know how an older Samsung TV can get better reception of channels/strength than a new HD HOMERUN CONNECT 4K?

What am I overlooking?

Please help, any suggestions is greatly appreciated!

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Signal Strength - WHAT?

Post by NedS »

Are you using a signal amplifier on the antenna? If so, it is probably overloading the HDHomeRun with too much signal.

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Had connected directly to antenna and did not get half as many channels (either Samsung TV or CONNECT) as using below -

ClearStream Juice VHF/UHF Low-Noise Preamplifier System

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Also, using the ClearStream 4MAX UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna which IMO one of the best antennas... again... IMO

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Did you completely bypass the amplifier or just the power injector?

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I just have the Juice power injector - first tried without and then tried with... received more with the injector.

RG6 coming directly from the Clearstream MAX4 into the pre-amp (Juice) and then the R6 line goes into the power injector. It then goes into the splitter - one goes to TV and other goes to HDHomeRun. I get more channels on the old Samsung TV. I also took out the splitter and had the cable go from the injector right into the HDHomeRun, that gave me a couple more channels but as much as the Samsung TV. Same amount of signal strength on majority of channels except the additional channel I receive if I don't use the splitter.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

From your description I'm still not clear what's going on here, but the bottom line is, use a passive signal, no amplfiier, just a passive antenna connected to the HDHomeRun, and it will work better.