Channels seen during Scan, but then not available when scan finished

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
engene7

Channels seen during Scan, but then not available when scan finished

Post by engene7 »

As per the title, I see many more channels during the scan, but they vanish when the scan finishes.

For example, were we live I can see BBC1 London, BBC1 East E, and BBC1 East W, and the same for BBC2, ITV, Channel4, etc...
When I use the web-browser app to Scan they are all seen during the scan, but only one of each is then available after the scan finishes...
Why?

And what is the difference with the browser based Channel Lineup, and the HDHomeRun Setup desktop app?
I seem to get different results with either, but both seem to affect the playback app???

engene7

Re: Channels seen during Scan, but then not available when scan finished

Post by engene7 »

No support available?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Thats the normal behavior... the issue is same virtual channel number as only one can be added and it chooses by resolution then by quality.

If you wish both currently you have to use software that isn't dependent on the scan. If you wish one over the other, currently you must do something to block (lower quality of if same resolution) the other station.

The setup app was meant more for other software so though it may add those additional channels in the list, when using the modern method of tuning, the list on the device is the one used and that list is based 100٪ on the device's scan results rather than the one ran from setup (though setup also forces the device to do such scan, since the one on the device is the important one for most of today's software, I prefer to do it directly on device).

There has been talk about a future firmware update that may let you choose region thus adding your regional channel. I'm also hopeful that SD will eventually use a different approach as now people in the US are wanting both ATSC 3.0 and 1.0 stations that share the same virtual channel number and eventually always have access to all channels from the scan.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Yep, this needs regional preference support for the official HDHomeRun app, which is planned and will likely be accelerated by the ATSC 3.0 situation in the US. As it is now, the hardware itself can handle all of the channels, but the built-in channel list used by the official HDHomeRun app uses an automatic process to only select one channel per virtual channel number. It's possible to use a third party app such as VLC with a custom playlist to tune to specific channels, but that's a bit clunky (but an option available now, just to put it out there). Other third party apps like Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin might also provide options for the short term, but I'm not entirely familiar how they would handle that situation.