HDHR5-2DT fails half the time

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nluk

HDHR5-2DT fails half the time

Post by nluk »

TL;DR: Works perfectly half the time, completely unusable for the other half

Hardware Model: HDHR5-2DT (HDHomeRun Duo)
Firmware Version: 20200907

Attached to simple home LAN; used with tvheadend running under OSMC
All ethernet devices attached directly, not using wifi.

When it works, it works well.
In the browser, HDHomeRun shows near 100% for Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality
tvheadend shows near 100% for Signal strength and SNR.
Using tvheadend to record works, with zero data errors.
Using hdhomerun_config to do a network packet test shows dots, with zero transport/sequence errors.

Then something goes badly wrong, and I cannot discover what.
For no obvious reason, the HDHomeRun Duo begins throwing errors.
It starts at random (or I can't see a pattern) and lasts for several hours.

In the browser, HDHomeRun shows varying number, or none, for Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality
tvheadend shows 100% for Signal Strength, with SNR bouncing from low number to zero
Using tvheadend to record results in unwatchable programme (blocky video, stuttering audio)
Using hdhomerun_config to do a network packet test shows lots of 't's and 's's (transport and sequence errors).

Is this an aerial problem?
No. The aerial has a splitter: one end feeds the HDHomeRun, the other feeds an ancient DVR recorder.
The same signal from the same aerial works perfectly on the DVR recorder (programmes record/play OK),
but not on the HDHomeRun.

So it looks like a network problem, but I don't know how to diagnose or fix it.
This home LAN is not heavily used (a few computers browsing).
Can you help?
At present, this device is unusable because unreliable on this network.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR5-2DT fails half the time

Post by signcarver »

You didn't say location but often when I see the term aerial they are in the uk and often the 5th gen boxes need a High Pass Filter with Braid Breaker. The other thing I would look at is the power supply but typically I haven't seen that as an issue with 5th gen devices.

My suggestion is to turn on sending of diagnostics data and running a channel scan on the device... you may also wish to do so from their app (if you have access to a mac, windows 10 pc, android or iOS device) as they can sometimes get additional data from it if you can note a time that such a problem occurred.

I believe there are a variety of ways that tvheadend can connect to the device and one is using the legacy udp methods rather than the modern http methods and often the udp methods will result in more loss.

nluk

Post by nluk »

Thanks for replying.
Yes this is in the UK, set up as a basic FreeView PVR.

Re High Pass Filter with Braid Breaker: if this were needed, I would expect the HDHomeRun to fail all the time, but it can work perfectly for hours before it goes badly wrong. But I am no expert in these matters: how would I get hold of and test such a filter?

Re sending diagnostics data and running a channel scan: at the moment, it is recording happily without errors, but I will do as you suggest when it has finished. I don't currently have access to a machine which could run their app.

Re tvheadend connecting using a non-udp method: I don't know how to do this, and a quick google search didn't turn up anything useful. Do you know how?

nluk

Post by nluk »

I have enabled diagnostics and performed a channel scan.
The ID of the HDHomeRun Duo is 1241811C.
tvheadend has been using it to record Channel 4 news for the the last 10 minutes, and is showing lots of continuity errors.
And if I use hdhomerun_config to do a network packet test, I see lots of 't's and 's's and very few dots.
The time is now 19:11 on Tues Sep 15th.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

First item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d70.html.

No one is quite sure what exactly causes the interference. It's almost exclusively a problem in the UK. There are a lot of people using HDHomeRun devices for OTA broadcasts in France and Italy, which use the same broadcast standards and HDHomeRun hardware as the UK, and they rarely if ever have issues. Just know that the filter has fixed it for everyone who has encountered it.

nluk

Post by nluk »

jasonl wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 pm
First item at https://www.kcb.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d70.html.
Thanks very much for your advice.
I have ordered the 'High Pass Filter with Braid Breaker', and will hope that it solves the problem when it arrives.