Scribe Duo: Unable to play channel error

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
keithhoffman22

Scribe Duo: Unable to play channel error

Post by keithhoffman22 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi all,

Brand new to HDHR. So far, not going well.

I've got an HD Scribe Duo (weird that it doesn't offer an option to plug into the tv HDMI directly, offputting) set up with an LG WebOS OLED55C8AUA tv with an amazon firestick (Fire OS 5.2.7.2). It's using a known good OTA antenna connection (quality splitter right before tv, which works, and hdhomerun).

I tried to grab a LG WebOS native app. FAIL. Didn't find one (is there one?)

Alternatively, to get going at least, I've grabbed the Amazon firestick app. I've checked that the firestick is up to date (yes).

Launch the firestick app. FAIL. I get an "Unable to play channel error: Unknown channel" most of the time. Once, I got the tabbed UI by pressing a button the firestic remote (I think; couldn't replicate it) but as soon as I click Live TV, I get the Unable to play channel error. From the unable to play channel error, if I click pretty much anything on the fire stick remote, I get TypeError: cannot read property 'parentNode' of null with lines below of in t, in div, in div, in t (repeating). As a software engineer, I have to cringe a bit when I get shown raw exceptions (esp null).

I updated from the shipped version to the 20190621 Firmware via the my.hdhomerun.com webpage. No dice. Same "Unable to play channel: unknown channel", same null parentNode exception. my.hdhomerun.com page now says the firmware is up to date and that it found 44 channels (sounds about right).

Suggestions? Did I miss some setup step? Defective unit?

Random thoughts regarding my edge case (this can't be that odd):
My tv and firestick are running on wifi, the hdhomerun is plugged into ethernet. Initially, on separately routers. Didn't seem to matter to my.hdhomerun.com seeing the scribe duo from this computer. I put the firestick on the wifi generated by the DHCP serving dsl modem. No change.

In fact, now I'm struggling to get off the parentNode null exception page.

Blah.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Scribe Duo: Unable to play channel error

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:47 am

An LG app is in development.

We have identified a bug in the app interface that is causing the exception. The team is working on an update now.

keithhoffman22

Post by keithhoffman22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:03 pm

Okay. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, holiday returns end next week so I doubt I'll be able to wait for a firmware upgrade.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:32 pm

Keith,

Two random thoughts. first everything must be on the same router, even if you are bridging or port forwarding. second, have you tried to install the Scribe Duo Beta firmware? I seem to recal getting the same on Firestick until the beta was installed.

keithhoffman22

Post by keithhoffman22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm

1. Initially, I had the client on bridged WiFi and the scribe on Ethernet to the primary router. I moved the client to the wifi from the primary router without an improvement. Honestly, I'm not sure why that would be a limiter. Bridge or mesh network is a pretty common situation. Regardless, I tried it and it didn't help.

2. If I want to build a DVR, I would (made more than a couple computer DVRs). I don't want to do for this application. I was looking for a 'just works' experience similar to the firestick or LG webos Netflix apps. So thanks for the beta suggestion but I'm looking for plug and play not 'project'. I don't even know how I would do this given the UI doesn't load.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:18 pm

The UI fix is expected to be out later today.

keithhoffman22

Post by keithhoffman22 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Is there something special that would need to be done to see this firmware patch?

my.hdhomerun.com says the firmware is up to date.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the fire app produces the same result as previous (Unable to play channel: unknown channel)

I can report that the LG tv has somehow auto-populated the Scribe as an input (what protocol is the hdhomerun broadcasting? DLNA?) but that UI isn't going to cut it; no guide or channel info populates unless you open each channel individually. It does demonstrate that the tv tuner in the scribe and the wireless unit seem to be working fine.

Since the DLNA interface is terrible and the fire stick is still broken and an LG WebOS app doesn't exist, do you have another interface to recommend to access the Scribe?

Edit:
Ok, I'm just baffled by this device. It has a <1 page setup and yet it seems complex to get it working.

Firestick app: magically started working. I can still produce the Unable to play channel error but then can get to the other parts of the UI which seem to mostly work (the firestick rewind/ff function seems unusable).

Windows 10 app: As an alternative and in hopes that perhaps the rewind/ff function worked better, I grabbed the Microsoft Store published Windows 10 app and installed it. Lo, the same unable to play channel error. No ability to reach any part of the UI.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:04 pm

Still working on a few more updates for the full fix. For now, enable early access to new features and that should get you past the error. On FireTV, press play/pause 13 times to bring up the settings menu, and on Win10 move your mouse to the top-left corner of the window and a hamburger stack icon will appear, click on that and you'll have the option.

r.brandt

Post by r.brandt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:08 am

I have the same problem with my new Scribe Quatro. This is junk as far as I can see. Apps don't work and you have to press play/pause 13 times to get a setup menu?

r.brandt

Post by r.brandt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:41 pm

On my Windows 10 computer I did what was suggested and enabled early access to new features and it started working! I was able to view the channel list and see live video. I setup a couple of shows to record last night but haven't looked for them yet but it probably worked. On my iPhone, I can't see how to enable early access to new features so it still gives the error and is useless.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:40 pm

An updated beta should be out shortly, and once we get some verification that it hasn't introduced any further issues, it will be rolled out to all.